Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by sarumont If you use the MBR, then you won't be able to reinstall windows again because it automagically overwrites the MBR and grub/LILO will be lost. You ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    If you use the MBR, then you won't be able to reinstall windows again because it automagically overwrites the MBR and grub/LILO will be lost. You could boot from a boot disk then, but who wants to do that?
    No you are wrong you can install windows again it will overwrite the MBR but all you do is get the boot disk that you created out and boot up from that when in linux if using Lilo type -> lilo. This will write lilo to the MBR again, And for grub IIRC its -> grub -> setup hda. Problems fixed you now have your boot manager back

Linux Newbie
    hey welcome back Hotwheelz.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Welcome back Hotwheelz.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Wouldn't it be a better decision for a newbie to use RedHat or Mandrake instead of Slackware? I heard that Slackware is really only for advanced Linux users. I dual boot with RedHat and Win98 and all works fine.
    I don't even think to try Slackware for now, I know too little about Linux.
    Probably you wouldn't have any problems if you have just stuck up to RedHat.(or tried Mandrake, this is also very good for newbies like us).

Linux Engineer
    if someone could provide a place for them, i could upload all five of the suse 8.2 CDs in iso form (if i could remember the command for copying a CD to an iso....)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    if someone could provide a place for them, i could upload all five of the suse 8.2 CDs in iso form (if i could remember the command for copying a CD to an iso....)
    Can you do that legally??

I mailed SUSE about something like that some time ago, and they said that they really didn't care..

Linux Newbie
    Well, theres been a delay. Since I am in college I only work the weekends. And since I only work the weekends I dont see my boss. So, I have to get ahold of him and see when he wants to get this HD and when he wants it put in. Once I do that, then I get a free HD and get to play with Linux

BTW, thanks for the welcome

Linux Engineer
    to me that would be like copying the cd's for a friend... same idea... now to find space to share suse 8.2 with my friends here :P
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

flw
    Linux Engineer
    The 5 CD version of SuSE 8.2, is that the profesional edition vs the personal edition? If so what is so limiting in the personal edition ( which is the distro I'm currently trying to learn on) ?

Short of a do all server functionality, it does seem to have or you can get the basic server apps already. I don't get it.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast