Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Well guys, I had to make an emergency format today. While trying to get Slackware to work, I messed something up and could not log into anything. Couldnt get into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Goodbye, Linux.....For Now

Well guys, I had to make an emergency format today. While trying to get Slackware to work, I messed something up and could not log into anything. Couldnt get into Windows. Not even in safe mode. Since I couldnt connect, I couldnt ask for help So, I formatted everything. Lost a bunch of stuff. But most importantly, I chose not to install Linux or even make a partition for it. I just dont have the time to mess around with it right now, and honestly I dont have the skill level at the moment. So, im back to a lone Windows system. I am attending college this Fall, so when I get in there and start learning stuff, I might give it another shot. But not right now.

Anyway, I would like to thank everybody who gave me help, or spent their time to give me advice. I really do appreciate it. And thanks to Ol Man for giving me the oppurtunity to download Slackware from you, I really appreciated that. I do hope however to check back at these forums every once in awhile though. So I will see you around.

Just Joined!
    www.vmware.com

go download VMWare. what it is, is a very good program that emulates a computer. Within this computer you can load up anything from linux to Netware, to Windows and DOS.

You can load up linux in this virtual PC and use it to learn without the risk of wiping out your system like you unfortunately did.

If you are resourceful you can find a program that will give you a free product key for VMware.

All you need to run VMWare is a decent amount of ram. it will run on 256 without much slow down. I recomend 512 or more though.

pop into the IRC channel if you need help with it at all

Re: Goodbye, Linux.....For Now

This is why we create boot disks Hotwheelz Hope to see you back soon.

Linux Newbie
    The boot disks werent working. The RH boot disk would load it up, but stop at loading sbin/loader, and Windows would take me to a Grub screen with the grub:/ prompt. None of the boot disks would work.

Try to use the rescuemode that redhat has. The details are described on the cd. Don't give up

Sorry to hear that you hosed your drive. Unfortunately everything doesn't always work out. As long as you plan to try again, then it's OK. Don't give up.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Timing is everything. If the drive is hosed at the wrong time, you have no choice but to go with what you know. Linux wasn't created yesterday, so it will be around later waiting for your return.

Good Luck,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    Well, I start college on Monday. One of the classes that I have to take at some point in my program is Intro To Linux. Im taking the Systems Administration course....so im sure Linux will come in handy somewhere. Anyway, I am installing a HD for my boss, and he is giving me his old 3GB HD. That should be big enough to run RedHat (or Slackware) pretty smoothly, shouldnt it? Can you dual boot with an OS on different HD's?

Linux Engineer
    yeah... as long as the kernel is in the first 1024 cylinders of the HD.. windows likes to be on the first HD, so make sure the Linux disk is not the first one...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

You can install the Linux HDD as anything but primary master. As lordnothing said, Windows likes to be primary master. Then just make note as to where you put grub/LILO. If you use the MBR, then you won't be able to reinstall windows again because it automagically overwrites the MBR and grub/LILO will be lost. You could boot from a boot disk then, but who wants to do that?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast