Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by Slip I personally use Windows at home as my desktop and only use Linux as a server, and when I have the option I pick UNIX (FreeBSD) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    I personally use Windows at home as my desktop and only use Linux as a server, and when I have the option I pick UNIX (FreeBSD) over it for that.
    currently thats how i am, once i get my 6800gt il b emulating the sh*t out of mah games wit winx cvs v. and wine

Linux Enthusiast
    I use linux because it is something new, and the fact I wanna learn about computers.

I agree with ihayhurst, YOU have to determine why linux for yourself.

I think to an average computer user, there probably isn't much "advantage" switching to linux. Granted, I know all of "us" could name plenty, but for an average user, that has no major qualms with windows and no motivation to "understand" an OS or any of that, it is hard to justify them making a switch.

Personally, I wanted to learn more about UNIX and this was the easiest way for me to get into it. I am fascinated that I can use a computer the same (an d better) way with free software that I could with windows. Granted, I still have a win2k box and mac powerbook at home that I use, but I love using linux.

To me, learning linux was just another step in maintaining an "advanced" feel. I don't plan on giving up windows and I am slowly learning about MacOS...freedom of choice is huge, which I why I will also stick with linux.

It reminds me of being back in college and not choosing just one gaming console. I had a PS1, an N64 and a DC...they each had a function and limiting myself to just one, meant I was missing out on some truly good games.

So, don't go into linux thinking that it will completely erase all that you know and completely replace your dependence on windows (or mac), just think of it as another viable option and something that will benefit you as you become a solid, well-rounded computer expert!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Why Linux and not Windows? Someone convince me to switch to Linux for good.
    This isn't the used-car salesman mentality here. No one needs to convince you of anything. (You're a big boy, and can presumably make your own decisions.)

Linux Newbie
    I like to use Linux because:

1. Flexibility
    2. Free
    3. Open-Source in general and it's strong relationship with Linux
    4. It will help me learn, I never knew, nor needed to, what partitions were before I installed Linux
    5. Stability
    6. I want to have a career strongly linked with computers when I'm older and since I'm not planning on doing CS degree I believe learning Linux is the closest thing I'll get to understanding the fundamentals of computers.

On using Linux

I was a windows user, at home and work. But one day about 4 months back decided to go back to linux, (had linux back about 5 yrs, RH7). Currently using linux only, no more windows at my house, not working at time of this post. Fedora Core 3 and Slackware 10.1 are what I have on my computer. Using FC3 more than Slackware currently but I use both.

I like linux alot, do not care for Microsoft at all, and will never go back to windows.

my desktop and laptop are dual booted, but honestly, i havent booted into windows in a few weeks. i like linux, it helps me learn more, but being an advanced windows user, its hard to not use it.
    Today I fell and felt better, Just knowing this matters, I just feel stronger and SHARPER!!!, Found a box of sharp objects, What a beautiful THING!!! Box of Sharp Objects - The Used

oz
    forum.guy

Re: So, why Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Noah0504
    Why Linux and not Windows? Someone convince me to switch to Linux for good. (I want to be convinced. I tried using Ubuntu for a few days, but I went back to Windows. I want to use Linux, but...)
    Greetings, Noah, and welcome to the forums.

Hey, I don't mind helping others that want to learn/use Linux but I certainly don't feel obligated in any way to try to convince them that Linux is better, or that they should be using it. In fact, it would probably make for a much happier computer-world if everyone stayed within their limits, used whatever they like, and didn't bad mouth any other operating systems.

Linux isn't the answer for everyone any more than Windows is, but it can be loads of fun to experiment with and much can be learned from it if you have an inquisitive mind. If Linux doesn't feel right to you, why not stick with Windows, at least for the time being?

I'm not trying to talk you out of using Linux, but don't want you to feel uncomfortable with it, either.

Good luck with it, whatever you should decide!

Linux Newbie
    honestly, if you're asking us for reasons on why you should switch over to linux, then you shouldn't switch. the reason for me was obvious the very first time i booted into my linux desktop. if you're not having any problems with windows, stay with it, otherwise, use linux. i personally do not use linux to "replace" windows. i still use windows for a variety of programs that simply aren't available for linux. this includes games and several other programs that i need. for me a dual-boot is perfect.

Linux Guru
    Well, first of all -- you said that you considered yourself an advanced computer user? I did that too when I was using Windows, but now that I've switched to Linux, I've realized that one actually cannot be an advanced computer user on Windows, since there are simply too many things you cannot do, don't have control over, and, in particular, it is so amazingly hard to learn something on Windows.

First of all, it's hard to get development software for Windows, and even when you do, every possible Windows API you can imagine is so frustratingly complex and inhibiting that you'd rather not use those development tools.

When it comes to learning, there is the issue of transparency -- if you cannot watch how the system works, how can you learn it? With Linux, you can both watch the system work, and read the tons over tons of free technical documentation that comes with it (the glibc texinfo is a good place to start).

And then, in general, POSIX systems (such as Linux) are just so much less complex than Windows -- it's actually possible to understand them, without losing any power. Rather the opposite, Microsoft's inherent avoidance of following the KISS principle makes Windows less powerful, but more complex.

Then, of course, there are the legal and philosophical issues behind free software in general. Richard Stallman explains that better than I can, though; see the free software definition.

There are thousands of other issues, but those that I've outlined are the ones that I consider primary.

P.S. When you say that there is a larger software library for Windows, you are probably right, but I'd say that there's a far vaster library of quality software for Linux...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast