Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Can't believe nobody mentioned lack of spyware/adware for Linux. No need to worry about virii. Spending time cleaning your computer of said virii and malware. Then there are all the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't believe nobody mentioned lack of spyware/adware for Linux.
    No need to worry about virii.
    Spending time cleaning your computer of said virii and malware.

Then there are all the choices that you get with Linux.
    Choice of distro, Window manager/Desktop Environment, Internet browser and many others.

Plus all of the reasons that the other guys brought up.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Enthusiast
    the reasons i like linux:
    1. free/open source (no legal issues...i used to dl tons on kazaa, but now i have no worries of having illegal stuff on my system )
    2. customizable...you have soooo many options in linux and can easily make a system set up specifically for what YOU want
    3. system is tweaked to my hardware (gentoo linux)
    4. several gui's to choose from...this helps in how customizable you want your system to be
    5. always up to date and so many options for software since it's open source
    6. learned a lot about my computer and how it works...and now know what's going on with it when it does something (including installs). windows seemed to mask that from the user and that made me uncomfortable (especially after having a taste of linux)
    7. not main stream...i switched from windows, partly, because it wasn't mainstream
    ....the list goes on....

i use linux (gentoo) as my main desktop now after 2-3 months of using linux. i just feel really comfortable with linux and know how to fix most problems that arise...and if i can't than i come here (this can go under another advantage....a community there to help with problems).

Linux Newbie
    why do i use linux?? well, i usually find meself in the minority of groups... dont know why think it has to be the evil laugh...... but one of the main reasons i use it because its free, and i have a thing with owning the real thing and not a burnt... gives me someone to point the blame if the product doesnt work... and linux being free, gives me some extra pocket change so now i have to find some change...

and also for what i like to do... i am starting to learn how to do some stuff in 3D, and linux gives me more processing power then windows... thats what i really need... and the final product comes out even better....

i also use it because i like to see something different in me life... i like little changes that make life fun, like changing the theam compleately... anyway... i like to customize me surrowndings, and with windows i need 3rd party tools (which i really hate)... linux, i really dont need to.....

anyway... if that made any sence... i will be shocked...
    GAH!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, i first wanted to switch because MS pissed me off with their bend over and take it attitude. BSOD's got on my nerves and i read this: www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html which made me hate MS even more. so i downloaded SuSE 9.2 but i was worried (like you) about what it would be like. was it ****? was it all a lie? well, i installed it and thought WTF? where have you been all my life? the GUI was fantastic and easy to use. the shell (konsole, command line) was intuitive. the windows command prompt still scares the **** out of me. i'm afraid to use it, but i fire up the konsole without thinking. just remember to never log in as root and you'll be fine. there is also a fantastic support community here. unlike the windows troubleshooter "uninstall and try again" these people can provide answers to why things aren't working. reinstalling just isn't necessary in linux. also, the BSOD only appears as a screensaver
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Because using Windows, even a pirated version, you are supporting & maintaining their (MicroSoft's) monopoly. This is a bad thing, for everyone. They are destroying the software industry by their business practices, so if you care, don't contribute. The more people stop using Windows, the weaker their monopoly becomes. No business in the world can survive against MS attacks, but Open Source CAN, because it's NOT a business. That's why Linux and OSS is the only thing they fear, and cannot stop. All they can do is spread propaganda, FUD & outright BS, but that's pathetic and anyone with a semi-functional brain can see right through it.
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux Newbie
    linux desktop themes are way better than windows

because according to steve ballmer we're all a bunch of tree huggin hippie commies. so peace man peace, join us man... :smoke:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

Why Linux

The +:
    1. Some distros are free, and they are the ones that I encourage. - Is its cost going to destroy Microsoft ? Does Microsoft really thinks that people in China are going to buy softwares most of the time? This is a joke, like for music or movies.
    2. Stable.
    3. Security: you can't enter wherever you want and delete vital files without warning and password entering.
    And the biggest advantage -
    4. No legal issues. Give it away, modify it if you can, do whatever you want.

The -:
    1. Not many users, which means that a lot of hardware is not working with Linux, like Lego cam, Rockwell modem... Forget about installing drivers if you are a new user.
    2. Hard to find all the features of Office in OpenOffice, sorry.
    3. Many distros are not free. Some are hard to find.
    4. There are more. I am just a new enthusiast Fedora-user.

Re: Why Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Carlier
    2. Hard to find all the features of Office in OpenOffice, sorry.
    i disagree. many of the features in Office are unnecessary bloat. so they won't be needed in OOo. like i said, if you want to use linux then you will discover your own reasons and will eventually work everything out. if you really like it then you'll find yourself not wanting to use windows as well.

I was a Windows XP Pro (l)user for a long time!! In last 12 months I am a Linux user and fan!! Registered Linux user number 393420

Linux is much better, stable, free, and no problems with viruses, better for programers, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast