Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
So, I'm a long time Windows user, and fan. I also consider myself an advance computer user. Well, over the years, I've always heard talk about Linux. For the most ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So, why Linux?

So, I'm a long time Windows user, and fan. I also consider myself an advance computer user.

Well, over the years, I've always heard talk about Linux. For the most part, it was all good talk. I always wanted to give it a try, but I was never really ever able to install it. This was only due to the fact that I was using the family computer, and even a dual boot would throw everyone else off.

Well, now I have my own laptop, and I was excited to give Linux a try. I wanted something easy. I consider myself an advance computer user, but Linux was completly new to me. I went with Ubuntu. I messed around with it, and liked it, but I have one question. What is the real advantage to Linux?

Obviously, you have a larger software base on Windows. That statement depends on a few things, but for the most part, it's true. I can run iTunes and Macromedia Dreamweaver on Linux via Crossover or Wine, but the performance isn't as good as running it on Windows. Now, I know if you look hard enough, you can find a nice application to serve any purpose.

Anyway, back to my inital question: Why Linux and not Windows? Someone convince me to switch to Linux for good. (I want to be convinced. I tried using Ubuntu for a few days, but I went back to Windows. I want to use Linux, but...)

Thanks,
    Noah

Just Joined!
    Coz it's free as in free lunch
    and free configuration, suit yourself

Well you have to discover your own reasons if you are going to stay a Linux user.
    I'f I'm honest I have to say the initial attraction was that it wasn't mainstream, In the early 90's I considered myself an advanced computer user but there was all this stuff out there I knew nothing amout (namely unix at the time , Linux was the most accessible form)

When people said (at work) can we do x y z, then we could just try it (without waiting for weeks for a bit of software that might work, paying lots of cash, being dissapointed that it didnt quite work as planned,) if it almost worked hey we had source and could 'fix' it

keeping my system up to date (bleeding edge) compiling new kernels as they appeared on the mirrors, rather than waiting a couple of years, 'upgrading' the OS and then all the packages as well, you can upgrade the kernel or software packages piecemeal.

flexability and control as an admin
    Code:
    ps -eaf |grep "nastyrunawaycode" |awk '{print $1}' |xargs -i kill -9 {}
    honestly it does all make sense eventually

The sheer joy of building a gentoo system from a stage1 tarball and having a machine that only contains the code you want it to have, configured your way fully optimised for your pIII, Alpha Ev7, ARM, mips, ultraspark, or whatever hardware youcould find (not compiled for a 386)

I said you need to find your own reasons, those are just some of mine

I like the feeling that all the software on my machines is legal
    when under some pressure about relative merits of a particular ofice suite I took a straw poll of friends and collegues to discover who had actually bought a specific piece of software.... I, as the 'non windows' user was the only one who had actually bought the stuff (I had a windows machine too at home then)... everyone else had 'accuired' it...

You said you considered yourself a fairly Advanced computer user, don't you want to take it furthur?

Cheers,
    Good Luck and stick with it
    Ian
    Registerd Linux user #119296

Linux Newbie
    1. Free.
    2. Stable and more responsive.
    3. Total control. Highly customizable.
    And the biggest advantage -
    4. No legal issues. Give it away, modify it, do whatever you want.

There you have it. Those are my reasons. You'll find your own reasons as you use more of Linux.

Linux Engineer
    Guys, I believe there is already at least 1 thread about this subject... Maybe you should do a search and post there .

Anyway, glad you switched to linux, welcome to the other side
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    You can always use Knoppix 3.9 which is a live-CD linux distro that can be installed on your PC. All you need to do is to create a FAT32 partition, and you can store there all your info. No, dual boot, no hassle.

Linux User
    if your an administrator or perform the duties of one its best ye learn how to use any unix well, since in your duties you may come across unix. Plus where windows is deemed unsuitable or expensive, linux is a good replacement.

Linux Engineer
    1. Freedom
    2. Very tweakable without even seeing any source code.
    3. CLI!!!!
    4. Multiple sets of GUIs (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, Enlightenment et cetera)
    5. Soooooooo muuuuccchhhhhhhhh LEGAL ssoooffffffftwwwwwwwarrrrrrrreeeeeee
    6. Virtual desktops!
    7. The geekiness!

from hell

Originally i started out as a basic Windows ME (hiss!) user. I was stuck with the Operating system due to the fact that i had no money. I became more advanced with windows and found out all the problems with windows ME. after many Blue Screens of Death, I was fed up with the system and decided to search for an alternative. Originally i started to learn linux in wrong places (www.phlak.org - awesome distro but many stuff i shouldnt know). And i installed Fedora Core 3.

switching from windows ME to linux (with no BSODs) was....almost....orgasmic

Linux User
    I personally use Windows at home as my desktop and only use Linux as a server, and when I have the option I pick UNIX (FreeBSD) over it for that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast