Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
something i find kind of odd: since installing gentoo i've been using lynx a lot to check this forum and to browse a couple of other sites.. and the more ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

text browser

something i find kind of odd: since installing gentoo i've been using lynx a lot to check this forum and to browse a couple of other sites.. and the more i use it, the more that the graphical browsers seem too gaudy.. i think if it wasn't for the fact that lynx doesn't support javascript (or at least this ver doesn't seem to), i would probably almost completely abandon graphical browsers.. anyone else feel the same or am i just an oddball amongst the geeks, too? :P
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

No nothing beats Firebird but lynx is good for downloading or quickly checking something online.

I know what you mean. When my mouse got broken, and I bought one online ( ) it took like a week until I got the mouse, so I just got used to terminal. And I continued using consolezmode a 1 week after I got the mouse. So, no, you're not the only one

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i think having gotten used to it is partly the reason for me using lynx more.. i think part of it also reminds me of the ol' days when i called bbs's for hours every day... as was said in a previous post, "ANSI art is *still* cool"
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!

text browser

I just started playing with lynx the other night...still trying to get the hang of it, but it is faster then a regualr browser..haven't tried any of the other text browser yet, but some one recommended w3c, but haven't tried it yet..

Linux Engineer
    text browsers are a bit faster because they don't have to download all of the images and extra stuff that people put all over their sites these days.. how many sites can you think of that aren't full of flashy graphics and javascript? not many... but there are a few that are still simple enough to be useful even in text mode...

Just Joined!
    I'm useing links right now while Gentoo installs it's good, I think it suppots java script, not sure though... it does have color so it's a bit easier to see whats going on than other text browsers that are around. I do prefer the graphical browsers though.

Linux Engineer
    is it just me or are many, many people dropping their old distro for gentoo install??

it seems alot of us are trying it atleast. i had it installed but now im using suse 8.2. i will try gentoo again soon.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I'm sticking to my Slackware.. atleast untill "elitelinux" gets some work etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast