Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
What utter nonsense! A computer is a tool, no different than a hammer or a chainsaw. The computer happens to be a lot more flexible than either, but in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: Windows causes stupidity

What utter nonsense! A computer is a tool, no different than a hammer or a chainsaw. The computer happens to be a lot more flexible than either, but in the end, you use it to solve a problem.

If I want to cut down a dead tree, do I need to understand the theory of internal combustion engines in order to use the chainsaw? Of course not! So if all I want to do is send and receive email, why should I have to understand the intracacies of an operating system? That's totally irrelevant to the problem I want to solve.

Now if I'm a programmer, it's a different story -- maybe. I know reasonably competent database programmers who don't have a clue how a computer works and only slightly more insight into operating systems. But they write perfectly useful database applications that solve real world problems. I, on the other hand, am involved in the embedded world and so I make a concerted effort to understand this stuff.

The point is, MIcrosoft understands that their business is selling tools to people who need to solve problems. They invest a lot of resources in trying to make their tools as usable as possible so as to appeal to the widest possible market. We can quibble about the extent to which they've succeeded. Oh, and if we're going to criticize those who want to make computing easy, what about Apple? Their UI hides the operating system even better than M$ does.

By contrast, it would appear that Linux geeks revel in complexity. What, you don't understand this? Go read the man page or the FAQs. Better yet, read the source code, which probably has no comments, no sensible spacing, and no vowels in the symbol names. You still don't understand it? Well, you clearly aren't qualified to use a computer!

Sorry guys, that kind of attitude simply won't cut it if you expect Linux to expand beyond its current niche markets dominated by geeks. Personally I believe in Open Source and I really want it to succeed. But success is measured by solving real problems, not competing to see how obscure you can make the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Intellimetrix
    What utter nonsense! A computer is a tool, no different than a hammer or a chainsaw. The computer happens to be a lot more flexible than either, but in the end, you use it to solve a problem.

If I want to cut down a dead tree, do I need to understand the theory of internal combustion engines in order to use the chainsaw? Of course not! So if all I want to do is send and receive email, why should I have to understand the intracacies of an operating system? That's totally irrelevant to the problem I want to solve.

Now if I'm a programmer, it's a different story -- maybe. I know reasonably competent database programmers who don't have a clue how a computer works and only slightly more insight into operating systems. But they write perfectly useful database applications that solve real world problems. I, on the other hand, am involved in the embedded world and so I make a concerted effort to understand this stuff.

The point is, MIcrosoft understands that their business is selling tools to people who need to solve problems. They invest a lot of resources in trying to make their tools as usable as possible so as to appeal to the widest possible market. We can quibble about the extent to which they've succeeded. Oh, and if we're going to criticize those who want to make computing easy, what about Apple? Their UI hides the operating system even better than M$ does.

By contrast, it would appear that Linux geeks revel in complexity. What, you don't understand this? Go read the man page or the FAQs. Better yet, read the source code, which probably has no comments, no sensible spacing, and no vowels in the symbol names. You still don't understand it? Well, you clearly aren't qualified to use a computer!

Sorry guys, that kind of attitude simply won't cut it if you expect Linux to expand beyond its current niche markets dominated by geeks. Personally I believe in Open Source and I really want it to succeed. But success is measured by solving real problems, not competing to see how obscure you can make the code.
    Excellent post.

Linux Newbie
    ignorant is more appropriate than stupid..........i am insulted

Quote Originally Posted by Intellimetrix
    There are those of us who consider our computers a tool, and those of us who don't. Don't assume everyone shares your view, as most Linux users do not. Think of it as everyday automobile drivers versus hotrodders. Most people see their car as a tool and don't want to tweak it. Hotrodders see it as a challenge and want to. There's nothing wrong with either of these views, but both exist and both are valid.

So if all I want to do is send and receive email, why should I have to understand the intracacies of an operating system? That's totally irrelevant to the problem I want to solve.
    You're a perfect candidate for Microsoft Windows, as that's exactly the audience they intend to serve. Most Linuxes are not intended for this mindset, and that's perfectly fine. Use whatever OS appeals to you, but don't insult my choice because it doesn't work the way you want it to.

The point is, MIcrosoft understands that their business is selling tools to people who need to solve problems. They invest a lot of resources in trying to make their tools as usable as possible so as to appeal to the widest possible market.
    Microsoft is selling tools, yes. They're selling tools to people who consider their computer to be tools, and it's a good market. Linux was not designed by or for people who want a computer "appliance".

We don't revel in complexity, we revel in configurability. If you don't understand THAT, you clearly aren't qualified to use Linux.

Sorry guys, that kind of attitude simply won't cut it if you expect Linux to expand beyond its current niche markets dominated by geeks.
    You're of the opinion that it should, and I am not. Your opinion is valid and there are distributions of Linux that may agree with you. I however think that Linux is best left to those of us willing to put forth the effort to make it work and learn a lot about our computers in the process. If that's not for you, I understand, there are plenty of other operating systems you can use without trying to adapt Linux to your needs.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I have been a member of this forum for almost 10 months. And I have not seen this attitude.
    Every once in awhile someone will post "RTFM", but then another user will step in and help out.
    Now it may be due to an excellent team of moderators on this site deleting the offensive posts before I see them but, in any case this RTFM attitude is not prevalent on this site.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

the rtfm mentality doesnt exist here except for a few cases i agree. i think this is the best resource and i feel more comfortable asking here instead of googling something because of the live interaction with a person i so revere. if linux is ever going to make its mark on the desktop the only holdup i see, that is dwindling by the day, is arrogence and intolerence. if people have questions no matter how mundane why not help out. usually those are the only questions i can answer however. more over the people new to linux and are potentially new to linux really do not know anything and even may not know about computers so those of us who are in the know should help to make for a better experience in computing. granted there are those who ask the obligitory which distro should i choose question but that is understandable and the way its dealt with is fine as well. but even if someone wants to know the command for changing directory why not tell them how it works share the knowledge.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie

By contrast, it would appear that Linux geeks revel in complexity. What, you don't understand this? Go read the man page or the FAQs. Better yet, read the source code, which probably has no comments, no sensible spacing, and no vowels in the symbol naes. You still don't understand it? Well, you clearly aren't qualified to use a computer!

Yes, that is the mindset of many people. My Mom would rather use Windows then anything else because it leaves out options. But I choose to use to use Linux. Why? Because it puts the options back in. It challenges us to learn. I hate ignorance. "Ignorance is bliss" may very well be true, but happiness comes from learning things, at least with me. I choose to work harder to gain knowledge, because knowledge makes me happy. Linux challenges to push the boundaries of what a computer is and can do in my mind. Most people don't live for knowledge, and in my view, that's the most serious problem with the world. I don't see the world supporting what I just said, and I don't worry about it. I figure do the best you can and be happy with what you do in life. The best I can do is learn the most I can, so I use Linux. I don't view my computer as a appliance, I view it as the best way to enhance my knowledge, which is like no machine, and shouldn't be put in that category.

As my favorite author has said, "I would take knowledge over ignorance any day."

Many more users on this form will agree with me because they feel the same way, they think the same way. However can we really be right if 99% of the world disagrees?

And the answer is yes, without doubt. Look at history. The Wright Brothers were regarded as fools, or liers by most people. But they flew right? Maybe one day we will not be the smaller party.

I completely agree with techieMoe.

Long live knowledge.

-Brian
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Windows Causes Stupidity

Very interesting and funny article.

I, too, tend to prefer the term "ignorance", since it is my opinion that ignorance can be cured, but stupidity, in general, can not.

I also agree that many people DO want appliances, but others of us want tools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2