Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: How long do you keep the same wallpaper?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 day, I have randomizer on!

0 0%
  • 1+ weeks

4 12.12%
  • 1+ months

15 45.45%
  • My wallpaper survives reformats

14 42.42%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I didn't vote either, not because I don't use a Wallpaper, but you didn't provide an option for me. I have my wallpaper set to change hourly. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I didn't vote either, not because I don't use a Wallpaper, but you didn't provide an option for me.
    I have my wallpaper set to change hourly.
    I have a huge folder of pics of wizards/dragons that I have set to be wallpapers.
    I won't go into the pics that I use for the screensaver.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    lol sorry budman7

Changing wallpaper hourly must be interesting. Did you download them all?

Quote Originally Posted by deek
    I didn't vote either...it has been a long time since I have seen a gui desktop...CLI all the way
    I'm with you on that one, I use CLI all the time with a nice framebuffer. Links, Pork, irssi, cdcd, Vi, and zsh for my shell is what I use mainly on a daily basis.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Quote Originally Posted by serum
    lol sorry budman7

Changing wallpaper hourly must be interesting. Did you download them all?
    A friend gave me a bunch of them, and I did a search for "wizards/dragons" on google/images.

A wihle ago I used a folder with other pics and I set different desktops with different images to change hourly.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I do not think I would be able to stand not "seeing" what I am doing. I probably will stick with GUI just for the looks

budman7,
    What are you usually working on? Doesn't the constant switching effect anything? Or am I thinking of Windows? Where everything effects everything.

I do not think I would be able to stand not "seeing" what I am doing. I probably will stick with GUI just for the looks
    Wha--?

You can "see" what you are doing in CLI, too - I haven't any idea what you are talking about. Plus CLI is blazingly fast, with no bloat to weigh you down

Let's say you need to look in a folder. cd to it and use ls. Let's say you installed program foo but you don't want it residing in your /home/foo directory. OK here it is
    Code:
    su
    <password>
    mkdir /usr/foo
    cd /usr/foo
    chmod o+w /usr/foo
    exit
    cp /home/foo/file_you_just_installed /usr/foo
    and it's that simple.. read and you will understand. I can basically do everything you can do in GUI.

hmm I probably shouldn't have use foo that much in the example, I probably confused you.. you get the idea though. whereis is also a great tool.
    Registered Linux user #393103

This thread has shown a definite tendency to become silly. Please stop that at once.

Seriously though, let's not get into another GUI versus CLI argument here. They have their uses, and some people just prefer to use one or the other. I use both.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    I didn't vote, I don't use wallpapers
    Because you do not use a GUI or you just pick a colour?
    Both, I use the CLI and I also use X windows, when I am in X windows I use a solid colour background and use terminals, since I multitask a lot I tend to use X windows more as I prefer to have everything in one space.

Just Joined!
    George Harrison,

I know how to handle myself a little bit around CLI. I know it's simple when dealing with files. I meant not "seeing" by not having a GUI such as icons/toolbars/images what have you. Of course you can see the text in the command line... lol. No arguments, I just like GUI because I can "see" things

Linux User
    George Harrison,

I know how to handle myself a little bit around CLI. I know it's simple when dealing with files. I meant not "seeing" by not having a GUI such as icons/toolbars/images what have you. Of course you can see the text in the command line... lol. No arguments, I just like GUI because I can "see" things
    CLI is still important especialy in server management, and when X server is unuseable
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast