Find the answer to your Linux question:
if any of you are interested, here is a decent site for bbs's that i found: http://www.bbsmates.com...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

bbs's

if any of you are interested, here is a decent site for bbs's that i found:
    http://www.bbsmates.com
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

flw
    Linux Engineer
    looks interesting, I'll check some out in a few weeks when I get into my place.

Dan
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Newbie
    ummm ... not to sound stupid or anything, but what exactly is a "bbs"?
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    BBS=bulletin board system... it is the precursor to modern message boards, ftp (Z-Modem, anyone??), they had text based games like LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon), Barren Realms Elite (BRE), etc. some guy would set up the software at his house, add an extra phone line, and set his computer to auto-answer with the bbs software.. they really were the first "online" community.. and they are still cool.. this one is my favorite out of the ones i've telnetted to so far:
    telnet://brokentoenail.mine.nu
    oh, yeah, btw: ANSI rules! :P
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    sounds interesting. maybe ill check it out when i get home in .. 12 days!!

sorry, inside thing.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!
    My favorate BBS shut down about 5 years ago and I have yet to see it in the internet. it was called Psychological Testing Grounds: Slaygrounds for the mind (on line 1)

LORD was my favorate game

Z-Modem Rules!

Linux Engineer
    if anyone from the old boards you called has signed on to bbsmates, it can help you find them... or even find the old board if it ever went telnet... and didn't an improved Z-Modem or something that was better than it come out around 95-96? i seem to remember a bidirectional protocol towards the end of the glory days of bbs's

Just Joined!
    hehe tcp/ip?

Linux Engineer
    i meant for terminal programs... and hasn't tcp/ip been around for quite a while??

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    i meant for terminal programs... and hasn't tcp/ip been around for quite a while??
    AFAIK since 1974