Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just one last thing - processors won't matter if you get a slow HDD. Make sure it's a 7200rpm, don't accept a 4800 or 5400!! That's how laptops got a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Just one last thing - processors won't matter if you get a slow HDD. Make sure it's a 7200rpm, don't accept a 4800 or 5400!! That's how laptops got a bad rep as being slow in the first place!!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    From what I've seen thus far, I'm leaning towards Dell, but your warning is welcome. Do you know what type of notebook your friend had? And why wouldn't Linux install?
    I really don't know, but the problem was with the hard drive. I may have been able to get it to work with a full format, but he wanted a dual-boot as this was his first experience to Linux. _ALWAYS_ do your research before buying new hardware. The last thing you want is for your laptop to arrive and have something like your wireless card unsupported.

Now, with the iBook, you get a nice, UNIX based OS taht is guaranteed to work with _ALL_ of your hardware. (btw, I bought a Mac Mini a few months ago, and so far I am very pleased with Mac OSX. I don't feel guilty at all using it ) Not to mention you'll be able to run Photoshop and Dreamweaver natively (Those are the only two commerical programs I still like, everything else has been replaced with an open-source app on my box)

I took another look at the iBook... it may be one of the sexiest devices I have ever lain my eyes upon.

Gragh. I'll need to bring it back into consideration...

And I don't like Dreamweaver. Give me Bluefish or give me Vi!

carlos, I appreciate your used of the word "basically". On another note, where did you get that used Dell?

in my day (present day) we used paper and pens...... and that was the way we liked it
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux User
    buy it from www.cyberpowerinc.com they dont make you put windows on it, they just leave it blank if you want to (and it saves you about 60-100$). They do have a 6600go laptop ...

I took another look at the iBook... it may be one of the sexiest devices I have ever lain my eyes upon.

Gragh. I'll need to bring it back into consideration...

And I don't like Dreamweaver. Give me Bluefish or give me Vi!

carlos, I appreciate your used of the word "basically". On another note, where did you get that used Dell?

i like to make people happy he he. i got the notebook at a local computer sales show called the 4th saturday sale they sell old computer stuff as well as new stuff. its kinda nice kinda like a flea market for computer junk. my wife loves the notebook and aside form fedora core being very slow the notebook runs fine, but the slowness of the notebook has absolutely everything to do with Fedora core if i had installed slackware it would be finer as well as gentoo but its my wife's computer and i needed something that she would find user friendly.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie
    I was considering an iBook. They sure are sexy. And they have the UNIX base now that wouldn't make feel TOO bad. But myuh. If I got one, I'd probably end up using the Mac OSX. Since my desktop will have Linux, again, it won't be so bad, but I'm wondering if I can't get a laptop with Linux.
    Just got mine in the mail today (well, fedex) and MAN is it sexy. (As far as a computer goes, the background will be very sexy shortly...

I don't feel bad getting a Mac, it IS BSD based, so I don't consider it "cheating"

As far as paying the "tax" on another computer and wiping it, I'd suggest IBM or Dell, and would NOT suggest HP or Compaq.

But Apple just upgraded their iBooks (this one is BRAND SPANKIN NEW) and IF you're a student like I am you can get a free printer AND iPod at the same time...

Good luck with whatever you choose tho![/i]

Cabhan, I have had very good experiences with toshiba laptops, even though my current one is a P4 and has an ATi card, it still runs linux just fine. There are some toshiba Tecra A3/4 series of laptops which come with nvidia 6600 and even 6800 cards.

Instead of going for a centrino, why don't you try for a AMD Turion processor, it seems that a 1.8 ghz turion can whip a 2 ghz centrino. Also another advantage of the turion is that it is 64 bit and you are not stuck with the ipw series of cards, it is up to the manufacturer to put a wireless card of sorts.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Well, going through Cyberpower (didn't get a chance to take a real look at the Toshiba line yet), I can get (customized XPlorer X64-8000 Pro):

15.4" Screen
    AMD 64 2800+
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video Card
    Built-in Sound
    Mini PCI Wireless g Card
    Optical Mouse
    No OS

All for $1065.

I guess that any gaming I would do would likely be on my desktop, so 3D support probably isn't that important.

I also took a look at the iBook. I can get a 14" iBook with:

512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    1.42 GHz
    ATI Radeon Video Card
    No Office Stuff Installed

I figure that I can use OpenOffice.

The iBook costs $1200. It doesn't include the mouse ($29), and it has a slightly smaller screen. On the other hand, it's a very nice device.

Y'know what? I'm bored. I'm gonna look at Toshiba also (I'm at work ):

The Toshiba A3 Notebook:

Wireless (a/b/g) - Doesn't say if built-in or PCMIA
    1.6 GHz Pentium M
    256 MB RAM
    15" Screen
    Intel Graphics Media (built-in video, methinks)
    40 GB Hard Drive

Now that's $999...I could probably get the custom laptop at the top instead; only a $65 difference, but double the RAM and 20 GB more in the hard drive. And a bit bigger screen.

The Toshiba A5 (customized a bit):

1.4 GHz Celeron M
    512 MB RAM
    14" Screen
    Intel Graphics Media
    60 GB Hard Drive
    Wireless (b/g)

That's $1072.

So as of right now, I think it's between a customized Dell, that XPlorer thingie, and an iBook.

Keep suggestions coming! You all rule.

Linux User
    Well, going through Cyberpower (didn't get a chance to take a real look at the Toshiba line yet), I can get (customized XPlorer X64-8000 Pro):

15.4" Screen
    AMD 64 2800+
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128 MB Video Card
    Built-in Sound
    Mini PCI Wireless g Card
    Optical Mouse
    No OS

All for $1065.
    they DO have a laptop with nvidia go 6600

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast