Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
The XPlorer X5 6700? If I configure it exactly like the one above (though with a 1.73 GHz Pentium M (cheapest) and a nVidia GeForce GO 6600), it costs $1274. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The XPlorer X5 6700?

If I configure it exactly like the one above (though with a 1.73 GHz Pentium M (cheapest) and a nVidia GeForce GO 6600), it costs $1274.

How does the AMD64 2800+ compare to Pentium M? The 3000+ is only $30 more, so I can go for that if need be.

Linux User
    I don't know what your opinion is, but I would think you'd want a smaller laptop for a college campus, so it could be easily carried around.

I know I'm taking a 15" Thinkpad with me, and its WAY to big in my opinion. (I told my parents I wanted a smaller one with lower system specs, but no good... Can't complain, as I didn't pay for it )

Size isn't a huge problem for me. Either way, I hate small laptop keyboards, so I'd actually prefer one that is more normal sized. I think it's Toshiba that has a model that actually has a number pad in the keyboard. That was cool.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The Athlon 64 will be faster then the pentium M, but the battery won't last for long ~2 hours. Try going for a Turion, it will be just as fast as the Athlon 64, but the battery life will be more like the centrino's.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I also took a look at the iBook. I can get a 14" iBook with:

512 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive
    1.42 GHz
    ATI Radeon Video Card
    No Office Stuff Installed

I figure that I can use OpenOffice.

The iBook costs $1200. It doesn't include the mouse ($29), and it has a slightly smaller screen. On the other hand, it's a very nice device.
    Actually, the iBook has it's own office software on it. It's not bad, but I'm probably still going to download openoffice anyways. (There is a mac version)

Don't forget that the iBook has built-in wireless and built-in bluetooth, so if your campus has a strong wireless network, you can connect anywhere. And don't worry about the mouse too much, pretty much ANY USB mouse works just fine, so you don't have to pay for the expensive ones.

Check with your school, too: Apple is great with the student discounts, I got
    14" iBook
    512mb ram
    1.42ghz g4
    80gb hd
    combo drive (I downgraded to this, I don't need the dvd-writer)
    Free iPod mini (rebate)
    Free HP printer (5740, i think) (rebate)
    for just about $1200.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3