Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Which Linux boot loader do you use?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • GRUB

38 92.68%
  • LILO

3 7.32%
  • GAG

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GrUB is very powerful, functional bootloader, especially for booting many different configurations. If I'm not multi-booting a computer, I just use the operating system's default bootloader.

Linux Enthusiast
    I've used both Grub and Lilo, and I voted for Grub.

forum.guy
    I might be wrong, but it appears to me that GRUB is gradually becoming the more commonly used bootloader.

Anyone here know of any major distros that used GRUB by default, but then dumped it to go with LILO? There might be some, but I don't know who they are.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    grub=beter

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    grub=beter
    Better?

I think Debian at one time used Lilo. Slackware still use Lilo. Oh and Red Hat used to use Lilo (or at least give an option to use it) as of Fedora Core they only use Grub. Can't think of any others really..
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    I had LILO once, but ever since I installed SuSE 9.3 (which is the real beginning of my Linux-love-life [call it LLL]) I love GRUB. GRUB is great!

I use and like both, but GRUB got the nod from me simply because I can have spaces in my boot loader options. To illustrate:

LILO
    SuSE_9.3_Pro
    CentOS_4.1

Grub
    SuSE 9.3 Pro
    CentOS 4.1

It's strictly superficial as they both load the OSes just fine, and I prefer LILO's configuration to GRUB's, but most of the distros I use right now choose GRUB as their default, so I tend to keep it.
    Registered Linux user #270181

Linux Newbie
    gag looks cool, but i'll go with grub
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Frankly, I never got the menu up for GRUB, so I dunno if I have enough experience to really say.

However, if I do, I find LILO's config MUCH easier for me than GRUB's was. It's all right there, in simple words and equal signs. <3 LILO.

Only annoying thing is that you have to run "lilo" everytime you make any change to the config file. But I don't make that many changes; the big one is kernel, which automatically re-installs LILO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Only annoying thing is that you have to run "lilo" everytime you make any change to the config file. But I don't make that many changes; the big one is kernel, which automatically re-installs LILO.
    I actually consider this to be a nice feature, because you can test whether or not there are problems with your configuration before you reboot. Given, GRUB lets you fix problems from the boot prompt on the fly but I personally prefer to get my bugs out before a reboot.
    Registered Linux user #270181