Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Which Linux boot loader do you use?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • GRUB

    38 92.68%
  • LILO

    3 7.32%
  • GAG

    0 0%
  • Other

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
Originally Posted by Cabhan Only annoying thing is that you have to run "lilo" everytime you make any change to the config file. The annoyance for me was not running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #21
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733

    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Only annoying thing is that you have to run "lilo" everytime you make any change to the config file.
    The annoyance for me was not running LILO, but those times I forgot to run it and the system wouldn't boot because of the changes.

  2. #22
    Linux Guru bigtomrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,133
    I always liked that Lilo was graphical and disliked grub because it looked so rough. Turned out that was just Mandrake...I much prefer Grub now, I think because it is good for adding to the boot prompts as you boot up. Along with the SuSE bootsplash it looks really nice (in 9.3 anyway)

  3. #23
    Linux User Krendoshazin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    471
    I use and like LILO.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #24
    Trusted Penguin Dapper Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Sovereign State of South Carolina
    Posts
    4,630
    Slackware installs Lilo by default, but I have several distros on my HD, so I boot Slack from grub which is actually on my SuSE partition. To me, grub is just simpler to understand and operate and more easily configured when booting between several different OS's.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

  6. #25
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    217
    GRUB, its easy and comes default with most distros
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

    Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

  7. #26
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    83
    LILO

  8. #27
    Linux Guru dylunio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    4,157
    I rather like grub, although it's configuration file is slightly more complex than LiLo's configuration file, but at least one doesn't have to run something like
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    each time one updates menu.lst
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

  9. #28
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I rather like grub, although it's configuration file is slightly more complex than LiLo's configuration file, but at least one doesn't have to run something like
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    each time one updates menu.lst
    /etc/lilo.conf

  10. #29
    Linux Guru dylunio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by !=
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I rather like grub, although it's configuration file is slightly more complex than LiLo's configuration file, but at least one doesn't have to run something like
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    each time one updates menu.lst
    /etc/lilo.conf


    in grub one edits the /boot/grub/menu.lst (or /boot/grub/grub.conf) and not the LiLo config file in /etc/lilo.conf

    dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

  11. #30
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Quote Originally Posted by !=
    Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    I rather like grub, although it's configuration file is slightly more complex than LiLo's configuration file, but at least one doesn't have to run something like
    Code:
    /sbin/lilo
    each time one updates menu.lst
    /etc/lilo.conf


    in grub one edits the /boot/grub/menu.lst (or /boot/grub/grub.conf) and not the LiLo config file in /etc/lilo.conf

    dylunio
    You refered to menu.lst in the same context as lilo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •