Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by chopin1810 Computer companies could save oodles of cash by not having the tech support people, who after all of their certifications still don't have a clue. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Computer companies could save oodles of cash by not having the tech support people, who after all of their certifications still don't have a clue.
    I'm sure we've all had our fair share of moronic tech support folks, but one place that has never given my family trouble is Apple Computer. I actually had someone I went to college with work in their tech support for several years and their entire department were very well-educated people who actually knew something about the products for which they were offering support. They may be the exception, but I just thought it necessary to point out that some companies out there have competent tech support.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Well, the nice thing about Apple, is they have specialized/proprietary hardware and software, so I would think that limits that amount of issues they would ever have to deal with (theoretically, at least). So, to me, that makes a lot of sense.

I have been saying this for years, but I view the use of a computer, no different than a carpenter using a hammer. It is simply a tool and should be thought of no more than that. Sure, there are a ton of electronics and stuff, but do many of us really get down into the transistors and circuitry? I wouldn't think so. So, I think the better analogy is that of a TV. It is a seemingly complicated device, but one that doesn't break all that often. You can connect other components to it and you have software (ie onscreen menus and such). Does anyone that watches TV NEED to know how to fix one? No.

So, same with a computer. To many people, it is an applicance. It is not what is inside, it is what they can do with it that matters. And at some point down the road, computers will be so common, cheap and powerful, they will truly become an appliance and the days of upgrading, troubleshooting and the like, will be about the same as someone today trying to mod their TV:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Quote Originally Posted by deek
    Well, the nice thing about Apple, is they have specialized/proprietary hardware and software, so I would think that limits that amount of issues they would ever have to deal with (theoretically, at least).
    This is what makes it easier for Apple to have techs that understand both the hardware and operating systems.

Though I think it stupid that most all OEM's now only provide a restore disk vs a full fledged operating system installation disk. However froma tech support standpoint it makes it easier for the OEM as most problems come from the customer screwing up their install by installing programs loaded with spyware or virus/worms because they don't take the time to update the programs as well as opening email attachments from people they may or not know. The restore disk can return the system to shipped from the factory state in 30 minutes.

So, same with a computer. To many people, it is an applicance. It is not what is inside, it is what they can do with it that matters. And at some point down the road, computers will be so common, cheap and powerful, they will truly become an appliance and the days of upgrading, troubleshooting and the like, will be about the same as someone today trying to mod their TV
    I understand that point, and I realize there are people out there who have no interest in the internals of their computers, but realistically I don't ever see the days of upgrading, troubleshooting and the like going away. Computers are not appliances, no matter how much Joe Sixpack wants them to be, and as long as there are people out there who like to tinker with things, hacking will live on.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    as long as there are people out there who like to tinker with things, hacking will live on.
    Without a doubt!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    .... getting the right answers through forums such as this, where people actually know what they are doing.
    No we don't!!

just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    most problems come from the customer screwing up their install by installing programs loaded with spyware or virus/worms because they don't take the time to update the programs as well as opening email attachments from people they may or not know.
    This is the most common issue most people don't know what Spyware is and don't know how to update there systems.There should be a tutorial about spyware and Viruses and how to update the system.Windows doesn't give any tutorial about it which if they did people would be more safer by giving them information.
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Well, I agree, hacking won't go away, but I do think computer will turn into appliances in the near to mid future. Maybe the TV analogy was not close enough to what I mean. It is probably closer to cell phones/PDAs. People can still hack those and do a lot of cool things with them, but that is certainly not the norm.

Give the PC another 15-20 years and I think you will see how appliance-ized the computer has become. That is the road we are going down. You can already buy a decent computer for $300, complete. Except for the true die-hards, why would someone go out and put a $500 graphics card in a $300 computer? It just won't happen...

But alas, those are just my thoughts. I know I will always be tinkering and making sure I have the knowledge to fix my own systems at home, but as time goes on, it will be harder and harder to do with basically disposable computer systems being the norm!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

...but as time goes on, it will be harder and harder to do with basically disposable computer systems being the norm!
    I think Bill Gates would agree with that vision for the future.
    Forbes Article
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahman
    There should be a tutorial about spyware and Viruses and how to update the system.Windows doesn't give any tutorial about it which if they did people would be more safer by giving them information.
    Service Pack 2 provided automatic updating by default, sercurity tools to inform you whether or not you virus protection is up to date, spyware detection tools, and a firewall. However users have the option to disable these function which quite a few do as they don't think Windows should be doing these things for them. No matter what Microsoft does people will piss, moan, and cry foul. Plus most teenagers have the plug it in and go, download all the neat nifty programs their friends are using and P2P programs to download all the free music they can mentality (with virus/worms secretly included).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast