Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
There was a bit of a snafu with the installer...it did not modify the mbr correctly, so I had to manually boot it with a boot floppy to finish the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Posting this from within OpenSuSE 10 beta 1

There was a bit of a snafu with the installer...it did not modify the mbr correctly, so I had to manually boot it with a boot floppy to finish the installation.

Other than that, though, things have gone swimmingly. The system installed smoothly (other than the mbr problem I mentioned), detected all my hardware, and seems to boot a bit more quickly than 9.3; that is completely subjective, though - I haven't actually timed it.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between 9.3 and 10 beta 1 except for aesthetics and newer packages. There is a nifty new bootsplash and login window...it seems that the fellas over at Novell really REALLY like blue.

So far, I haven't actually found any nasty bugs except for the install problem mentioned above, which is not bad considering how "young" this release is. They seem to have added some more bluetooth stuff and FINALLY included ktorrent by default, as well.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Thanks for the report Flatline. I've been considering installing it to where my present SuSE 9.1 Pro is. I think I will now!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Only do that if you realize that it IS a beta. You're likely to run into something nasty. If that's the partition you work with the most (rather than - like me - one that you keep around for distro-whoring) and you want to update, for the moment I would recommend 9.3 Pro.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    Only do that if you realize that it IS a beta. You're likely to run into something nasty. If that's the partition you work with the most (rather than - like me - one that you keep around for distro-whoring) and you want to update, for the moment I would recommend 9.3 Pro.
    Yeah, that's why I'm kind of keeping to the sidelines with this release. I really like the polished SuSE and playing with the beta, to me, is a little like barging in on a supermodel with only half her makeup on; it just kind of feels cheap.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

They didn't include OpenOffice; I wonder what's up with that?

The polished "look and feel" are still there, but it's a beta - I'm not using it for anything but playtime (although I've been using it all day now and haven't run into any showstoppers a la Fedora).

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    It's not a problem, I'm a distro whore too, but only among certain choice distros which I consider SuSE one. I don't use SuSE as my main line distro anymore. I'm a Slackware man now! It's mainly for having a point of reference on SuSE issues and seeing what they're presently offering.

It's mainly for having a point of reference on SuSE issues and seeing what they're presently offering.
    If you really want to see what SuSE offers, grab 9.3. It's still too early to make a judgment on 10, IMO.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Is it a free ftp download?

Yup; it's available either as 5 CDs or 1 DVD.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

It would seem so:

http://www.novell.com/products/linux...nux/index.html

And techieMoe, I love your analogies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast