Find the answer to your Linux question:
in my opinion, is quite difficult for someone who has been on Windows all his life... My first ever computer was a Victor 9000 which had MS-DOS on it (version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux is fantastic, but...

in my opinion, is quite difficult for someone who has been on Windows all his life... My first ever computer was a Victor 9000 which had MS-DOS on it (version 2.something if I remember correctly), then went through all versions of MS-DOS, untill Windows 3.0 came up, Win 95, 98, 2K, XP...

So, I can say I'm not that ignorant about computers, it's just:

Working with KDE or GNOME, quite easy...
    Setting up a webserver with Xampp, a bit harder but I did it...
    Installing a software, damn hard to do... Didn't work so far...

Apparently, I just don't see or feel it...

But, I've had enough of MS Windows especially looking at the prices they charge for an OS that even isn't stable! Although, I have to admit, my server is on Linux but my own box still uses XP... As long as I don't master Linux completely, I won't probably make the switch...

What I use? Fedora 4, KDE (seems the easiest to start with) on an Intel
    Celeron 2,6 Ghz, 256 Mb, 40 Gb.

I have a 'newbie' question for you guys: how should I start to learn Linux? I bought an 800 page book (Linux for dummies) but that doesn't really do the trick... It's just getting you informed but it doesn't really teach you anything...

For example: I want to install a tool do have my backups automated... Downloaded a freeware, tried to install (makefile, make, etc) but apparently there's something missing on my machine (is it the source code?)... Didn't get it to work...
    I know, I could post a question on some forum (such as this one) but in the end I always feel like such a 'stupido' and on some forums, you even get treated as one

I would appreciate some help from time to time so if anyone can give me some usefull hints, I would be most gratfull!

Cheers,
    Bernard.

oz
    forum.guy
    You have to give it some time. I doubt that you learned Windows in a few days, or even weeks. It takes many months, or years in some cases for some to feel comfortable in Linux. Some of what you learned in Windows will apply, but much of it won't.

The best thing to do is experiment with Linux, surf the Linux forums, read Linux books, dual-boot until you feel you can do without Windows, and while you are doing all that, have fun with it.

Linux User

Re: Linux is fantastic, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bdeprez
    What I use? Fedora 4, KDE (seems the easiest to start with) on an Intel
    Celeron 2,6 Ghz, 256 Mb, 40 Gb.
    i really thought ubuntu was the easiest to start with ... detected a wireless card that no other distro has been able to... quick easy install... apt-get software installing feature....

Quote Originally Posted by bdeprez
    I have a 'newbie' question for you guys: how should I start to learn Linux? I bought an 800 page book (Linux for dummies) but that doesn't really do the trick... It's just getting you informed but it doesn't really teach you anything...
    they way i learn anything is by using it... you have to be patient and there will be problems with linux. just dont give up... ask us at this forum... search the web... once you use linux for a while you'll start to get the hang of it and you'll find things that you'll like over windows.
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

How did I learn Linux? I simply used it. I do not own a single Linux book; I have never attended a class or anything. I've learned by using and by asking for help on forums like this.

As far as installing, when you start anew, you're missing a number of libraries. Therefore, you need to install a bunch of libraries and the like in order to install. Some distros handle installing better than others; Fedora Core probably has one of the worst package distribution tools.

I recommend you try out other distros in order to get the hang of Linux and the subtle differences between each distro. I usually recommend SuSE as a good user-friendly distro; it has a wonderful package management system.

Don't be afraid of looking stupid. My very first day of Linux: I installed, I booted up, and I had no graphics. I had done NO research beforehand, and I didn't know that my nVidia card required special drivers. Fortunately, I had a friend help me. We've all had experiences; between everyone on this forum, someone has probably had whatever problem you do and knows how to fix it.

So don't be afraid: take some risks, and don't be afraid to get help. If you're gonna make a big change, ask around beforehand and find out if there are any issues. If something's messed up, come and say what happened, and someone will walk you through it.

Okay? Good.

Welcome to the Forums!!

Since you're having difficulty installing software, a good place for you to start is to learn about package management. Different Linux distributions have different package management strategies, which can make installing software easy.

Since you're using an rpm based distribution, you can start off by trying to install rpm's instead of compiling from source. Unfortunately, rpm's aren't so good at handling dependency issues.

I think you should try a Debian based distribution next, and learn about using Debian's package managment system from the command line. You won't want to go back to any rpm based distribution after that!

Debian has a lot of online documentation on how to admister services. If you want to learn more advanced system administration, it's good to look up how to set up a file server, web server, etc.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Occasionally, you'll have to install apps from source, but usually Linux distros use some kind of package manager. I've never used Yum before (Fedora's package manager), but I have a step-by-step guide with screenshots for how to use Debian-based distros' package manager (Synaptic Package Manager):

http://www.psychocats.net/essays/winuxinstall.php

You can learn more about Yum here:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Locking this thread as no useful discussion can be had out of this. Please keep away from "Linux is good but needs this" or "Windows can do this why can't Linux" style threads.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy