Find the answer to your Linux question:
I havn't been here for a while, my regular computer got CPU fried, I couldn't find a CPU in the local stores, Rex, Sears, Circuit City, Staples, so I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A trip to the past

I havn't been here for a while, my regular computer got CPU fried, I couldn't find a CPU in the local stores, Rex, Sears, Circuit City, Staples, so I had to pull out the INTERIM COMPUTER, an ancient device I purchased from my sister in law for $25.00 (Monitor and all).
    I'd never bothered to even turn this device on before, but now I must so I could go to a website and pay an obscene amount of money for a CPU half the speed of my old one. I couldn't find the monitor, so I hooked it up to my normal one and booted it up to see the "cheery" Windows 98 splash screen immediately followed by a "General protection fault error" and infinte reboots. I tried to stick BSD on it but the hard drive itself was bad, no problem, just switch it out with my spare 40GB. After a great deal of pain I managed to get a perfect boot and even XFree86 working. It didn't have enough memory to run KDE, so here I am with Afterstep, which oddly is starting to grow on me.

So here's the comparison:

My regular setup:
    RedHat Enterprise 4/FreeBSD 4.11/KDE 3
    AMD Athlon CPU
    Two ATA133 120GB HDDs
    784MB DDR266 RAM (2 DIMMS)
    VIA VT8235/Realtek ALC202 18 bit sound
    VIA S3 ProSavage 8 graphics (Does 24Bit 1280x1024 at 85Hz pretty well)
    Realtek RTL8139 10/100 Fast Ethernet
    Six 480Mbps USB Ports

The Spare:
    FreeBSD 4.11/Afterstep
    100Mhz (Not a typo) Intel Pentium 586 Class CPU
    24 MB RAM (128MB Swap Partition)
    2 GB Maxtor HDD (I replaced it with a 40GB Western Digital ATA100)
    Creative Sound Blaster 16 (World's biggest sound card, this thing is like 3 times the size of a normal PCI card)
    S3 Trio 64 Video Card (I Manage to get 16 bit 800x600 at 75Hz out of it)
    4x CD-ROM Drive (Replaced with 48x24x48 CD Writer, but it doen't run at its full speed)
    No USB
    No PS/2 (Serial mouse and a keyboard with a HUGE connector)
    No Ethernet (I had to add a $13.00 Realtek PCI network card for the DSL)

Surprisingly though, this thing manages to run the GIMP, Opera, Netscape 6, Afterstep, EMacs, XMMS, and a bunch of other useful stuff, all on a thing with the processing power of a Sega CD. Such is the power of FreeBSD.

Well, this shows the true power of unix, I sure hope bill learns something from this.

I would suggest that if you wish to improve performance more, increase the size of the swap partition to something like 600 - 800 MB. I got a friend to install Mandrake on a P166 laptop, ran much more smoothly when he increased swap from 128 MB to 900 MB.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Well, this shows the true power of unix, I sure hope bill learns something from this.
    What do you expect bill to learn? No OS will run on a bad harddrive? I think he's well aware of that fact.

Actually I think AlexK is referring to the fact that Linux and its apps can run well on older systems with low specs.

Whereas Windows wouldn't stand a chance on that machine.
    Of course Suse or Fedora wouldn't either.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ