Find the answer to your Linux question:
I mounted my Windows drive last night in Linux and I installed clamav and did: "clamscan -r /mnt/hda1" and then went to bed. I wake up this morning to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

wow

I mounted my Windows drive last night in Linux and I installed clamav and did: "clamscan -r /mnt/hda1" and then went to bed. I wake up this morning to find out that I have 6 viruses.. funny how an expensive program like Norton will not pick up on anything but a free open source prog will.

Do I see anything wrong here? My folks payed a near $100 for Norton Internet Security (I think Norton went south after Symantec bought them, IMO) and the thing can't do its job in the native operating system. clamav detects 6 infected files, not under Windows and it is free. Norton costs a buttload of money and won't detect anything. Am I missing something here?

This is not a "w1nd0w$ $$uck$" thread, I am not a troll, I just come here to tell you of this information. I don't care for Norton myself, so I downloaded a small time trial version of AVG just to scan once and then I would take it off, pretty much the only time I use a browser in Win. AVG comes up with nothing... wow.

How can this be? I don't use any internet browsers in Windows. The viruses just come up out of thin air? oh and how do I clean out the infected files found by clam? This may not be the most appropriate place to post this but I wanted to tell my story and it didn't really fit anywhere else. Move if you need to. Thanks for the feedback.
    Registered Linux user #393103

clamav is a very nice tool. Anyone dual booting between Linux and Windows, or passing emails on to Windows machines can benefit greatly from clamav.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Norton has been crap for several years, SystemWorks has done more damage to WinXP installs than virus or worms. Get AVG 7, it free and finds more virus/worms than Norton.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Norton has been crap for several years, SystemWorks has done more damage to WinXP installs than virus or worms. Get AVG 7, it free and finds more virus/worms than Norton.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
    Tried the free trial of AVG, didn't pick up on anything, but thanks for the link and I do see what you mean by it being a better quality product than Norton.

What virus was found, I would be real careful as what a virus is to clamav may actually be a required file to run a program in Windows. I've seen macro file seen as a virus within McAfee AV.

If it's truly a virus, I'd reinstall Windows and put your folks on Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    What virus was found, I would be real careful as what a virus is to clamav may actually be a required file to run a program in Windows. I've seen macro file seen as a virus within McAfee AV.
    ohh that could be my problem

I'm running another scan right now, it should be done soon. I closed the other terminal down without recording any info.

----------- SCAN SUMMARY -----------
    Known viruses: 38855
    Engine version: 0.85.1
    Scanned directories: 2411
    Scanned files: 25488
    Infected files: 6
    Data scanned: 31426.86 MB
    Time: 11087.412 sec (184 m 47 s)

It way well be that these are virii, but remember that on some antivirus it has files that contain samples of viral code with which it compears other files with.

But I have found using adaware in windows it pick's up many a dodgy file, where NAV does not.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2