Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
sorry guys.. have to disagree on this one.. i really dislike ubuntu.. wanna hear somehting funny though? i went to that ship-it ubuntu thing kause my firend sait that its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

sorry guys.. have to disagree on this one.. i really dislike ubuntu.. wanna hear somehting funny though? i went to that ship-it ubuntu thing kause my firend sait that its a really good distro.. so they sent me about 40 discs to give to people right? well i installed it and absoulutally hate it. lol now i have all these discs i dont know what to do with but oh well.. its really neat that they will ship it out and stuff for free.. just wish all the other distros did so i can try them all.....
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Thanks for being specific about what you dislike in Ubuntu.

oh... lol oops.. my fault like for one.. (the distro i got anyways) had no g++ compiler or anyything which was a real turn off for me. also the fact that there is really no packages that i use on a daily basis with it and i need to download everyhitng and install it makes me dislike it alot. im verry happy running SuSE and everyhitng i need is right there out of the box. pretty muich the package selection that come with ubuntu i dont like. my fault for not specifing sorry
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

Hmm.. did you read the guide that I read? I was against Ubuntu 100% until I read that.

Packages you want, is it? Add all the backport repos and unlike SuSE you will have a buttload of packages that will fetch from the internet instead of you having to insert your cd everytime you want a package and won't be in dependency hell. The only time I ever had troubles with apt-get in Ubuntu was very minor and I just added --fix-missing to it as a shot in the dark to fix the problem and it worked. The packages are endless, from Win32 codecs to azureus and it is yours. Unlike SuSE, Ubuntu automatically sees my eth card and does everything for me versus I had to issue "dhcpcd" as root in SuSE to get my network going.. If you want GCC then get it, but I have yet to actually need GCC because apt is so cool in Ubuntu (backports). It also has an inxredible community with a nice forum where you can find hundreds of tips and tricks to customize everything. I tried SuSE when it was 9.1, then 9.2, and then again 9.3 and everytime my ethernet card was not set up correctly and YaST was annoying as hell. There is pretty much only one complaint with Ubuntu and that is you cannot kill X11.. well.. you can but it takes some work. Well that's my rant on that one and keep in mind that it is not my goal to give SuSE a hard time at all, I think it is a nice OS but I was simply juxtaposing the two operating systems together and evaluating.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Newbie
    i never use apt..........i always use synaptic..........very easy to use
    regards,
    ordoni

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ordoni
    i never use apt..........i always use synaptic..........very easy to use
    if i know the package i want...then i use apt. if im looking for something more generalized, then its off to synaptic. both work good for certain reasons. i personally love using commandline so if i had a choice i would use the apt command. but thats just me.

Have you tried apt-cache search <keyword> to search for packages? And i have also noticed things dont like to be compiled on Ubuntu but Debian has a great toolchain (i know Ubuntu isnt Debian but its close) i wonder what it is?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2