Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm in Ubuntu 5.04 right now and I must say I am impressed.. I feel dirty saying it but I am rather impressed. I have installed 5.04 before and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I think I'm done hassling Ubuntu..

I'm in Ubuntu 5.04 right now and I must say I am impressed.. I feel dirty saying it but I am rather impressed.

I have installed 5.04 before and I was almost disgusted with apt, mad about sudo, etc. etc. but I found a really nifty guide called The Unofficial Ubuntu Starters Guide or something of that affect. I read it front to back a couple of times and wow.. adding the backports alone made me like apt a whole lot more and Ubuntu is starting to grow on me, I think it needs a bit more work though.

I was impressed with all the codecs I found with apt, VLC player and apt solved all of the libs and dependencies, etc. I'm starting to like this more and more. I usually don't go for the "newb" distros, I'm a *BSD kind of person but Ubuntu makes Debian enjoyable.

I'm finally going to quit hating on Ubuntu.

Oh and sudo isn't too bad in Ubuntu if you know what you are doing, I did make a root account the moment I booted into X. There are two things that bug me though: I _cannot_ get into CLI and I am not finding any ATI drivers (I was expeting no ATI drivers though).

Any Ubuntu fans here? I think I am going to keep this on here until SuSE 10 comes out.

EDIT: w00t, I just installed the ATI drivers.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Yeh im using Ubuntu and also like it as you have said it like debian just more polish for the desktop. Im just using the radeon xorg drivers but im not a gamer.

Same exact experience--Ubuntu drove me nuts until I found the Ubuntu Guide. Now it's my primary OS.

I'm still waiting to try a newer version.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'm still waiting to try a newer version.
    That's cool, but do not try 5.10 "The Breezy Badger" it is highly unstable and it won't help you at all. X11 crashed several times and only fueled my anger against Ubuntu, although it is bleeding (which caught my eye) it's about as stable as a retarded chimp that's addicted to crack/cocaine.. not the best words to use but ehh.. you have been warned. I noticed that one of your problem's was some Nvidia drivers.. I saw that in the Ubuntu Guide, check it out.

EDIT: w00t

Is this the guide you are refering to

Unofficial Ubuntu Starters Guide

http://ubuntuguide.org/
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahman
    Is this the guide you are refering to

Unofficial Ubuntu Starters Guide

http://ubuntuguide.org/
    Correct, I'm thinking about marrying the guide too.. hell I live in Nevada, you can get married to anything here. This guide is perfect..

\"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu is good. I use it because on my current setup I can't get Debian sarge to run well for whatever reason and Ubuntu works perfect. Kind of stuck with it but I also like it alot. The only thing that I have an issue with is the compiling of source. It doesn't handle that too well but it's all good because I can usually find it in another format in binary. Anyway, glad you saw the light GH.

I've become a bit of a snob recently, unless something us for the server I like to see a bootsplash theme. I could work happily all day without X, and boot messages are helpful but if something is for the desktop and especially for new users - I just like to see a bootsplash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast