Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My monitor made two sharp and loud cracks last night at around 11 pm, which means a capictor died and my birthday is quite close so I'm going today to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm getting a new monitor today!

My monitor made two sharp and loud cracks last night at around 11 pm, which means a capictor died and my birthday is quite close so I'm going today to get a new monitor. I'm getting a 17" LCD display with the color being black I know that.. any excellent brand names? My parents know I need it today so they decided to take me to Sam's Club to get me one because the CompUSA near us just closed down

Know of any good brands I should be looking for? I know the selection is slim at Sam's Club but I'll see what I can pull off. Viewsonic and Samsung are good I believe.. thanks guys.
    Registered Linux user #393103

oz
    forum.guy
    I can vouch for the Samsung being good...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    I can vouch for the Samsung being good...
    Ditto. I have two Samsung SyncMaster TFTs, a 15" model 151s and a 19" model 191T+. Both are great monitors, IMO.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Bought myself a Samsung Syncmaster 19" LCD and I'm going to hook it up soon, thanks guys.

Will Ubuntu recognize my monitor or will I have to mess with my xorg.conf? Should I just boot into Windows the first time around?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    Bought myself a Samsung Syncmaster 19" LCD and I'm going to hook it up soon, thanks guys.
    That's what I have. It should work fine to get Ubuntu going, but you will probably need to edit your xorg.conf file for the proper settings. Most LCD monitors like vertical refresh rates of 60 to 70 Hz, which sounds slow, but there is no flicker because of the way they work. If it were me, I'd edit the file to the proper (new) settings with my old monitor still hooked up, then shutdown, connect new monitor, then reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozar
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    That's what I have. It should work fine to get Ubuntu going, but you will probably need to edit your xorg.conf file for the proper settings. Most LCD monitors like vertical refresh rates of 60 to 70 Hz, which sounds slow, but there is no flicker because of the way they work. If it were me, I'd edit the file to the proper (new) settings with my old monitor still hooked up, then shutdown, connect new monitor, then reboot.
    eep.. I dunno if I should turn my old monitor on.. those loud cracks were capictors snapping and exploding, which means stuff is melting inside of my old monitor. I have not yet hooked up the new monitor, as I have been busy today. I'll see what I can do though, maybe use the old monitor I have that I use with my server box or something. My xorg.conf file was actually pushing that old monitor pretty hard (1280x1024 at 75hz) so I dunno, we'll see what I will need to do.

oz
    forum.guy
    Oops, I had forgotten you said the old monitor was busy trying to go out.

Yeah, it might work without doing anything, but it wouldn't hurt to edit the GRUB commands at boot time to use a different vsync rate. Set it to whatever your monitor specs say to use. Then go in and edit xorg.conf

Linux Newbie
    Speaking of exploding capacitors.........I experienced too many of those.
    Once someone installed a 120VAC movistor in a 240VAC system, I plug it in and BOOM-BANG, I had to go home that day for a change of underware.....

Quote Originally Posted by junkman4547
    Speaking of exploding capacitors.........I experienced too many of those.
    Once someone installed a 120VAC movistor in a 240VAC system, I plug it in and BOOM-BANG, I had to go home that day for a change of underware.....

I know what you mean, it was at 11 last night when mine snap crackled and popped, really scared me because I was sitting right in front of the thing too, trying to end the evening with a nice LinuxForums visit.. but then it turned south.. in theatres this Friday, rated G for Geek.

Just Joined!
    I had a similar incident with an old tv when the tube blew... almost needed a change of underwear until I realized what happened. (I was changing the channel, so I was right beside it when it happened) Thank heaven for modern technology.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast