Find the answer to your Linux question:
I find it very strange that all Linux distros can easily detect Windows and add it to GRUB, but they don't detect other distros of Linux. I always have to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I'm not liking this......

I find it very strange that all Linux distros can easily detect Windows and add it to GRUB, but they don't detect other distros of Linux. I always have to configure the GRUB menu to boot inti Ubuntu, my primary distro. Isn't there something that can be done about this?

Just a small complaint I wanted to make for a while. Waiting for the day when I don't have to edit my menu.lst all the time.....

*sigh*
    Registered Linux User #394578

Thats becuse it is the most common setup to duel boot a windows machine, not many people put more then one distro on the disk so there really isnt a point (people with more then one distro should know how to add it).

Linux Newbie
    well.................suse 9.3 pro detected my debian sarge and added it to a very nice graphical grub
    regards,
    ordoni

Quote Originally Posted by ordoni
    well.................suse 9.3 pro detected my debian sarge and added it to a very nice graphical grub
    it was the other way round for me. SuSE came first and debian came second.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Another thing: it's very easy to tell if there's a Windows installation. Do you have an NTFS drive? Windows! YAY!!!

However, an ext3 can be absolutely anything.

That said, if you're installing multiple copies of Linux, you probably know at least something about partitions, and therefore are most likely capable of setting up your bootloader config.

Re: I'm not liking this......

Quote Originally Posted by {MaX}
    I find it very strange that all Linux distros can easily detect Window$ and add it to GRUB, but they don't detect other distros of Linux.
    I find it very strange when folks say "all Linux distros" do this when they're actually referring to one in particular. SuSE 9.3 has picked up my other Linuxes the same was MS Windows in the past, so not all distros have this problem.

That being said, if you're going to want to install more than one Linux distribution on a box, there should be an implicit understanding that you're competent enough to configure your own bootloader.. but that's just my two cents.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Yeah, my Ubuntu recognized PCLinuxOS and Mepis, in addition to Windows XP.

When I installed Suse 9.3 it detected most of my distros.
    For some odd reason 3 distros were not detected.
    But the rest were, and all of the appropriate lines were put into menu.lst correctly.

This is the very first distro that has done this.
    But I was ready to go with my menu.lst backed up from before, so all I would have to do would be to c&p into menu.lst. Just saved me a bit of work.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    it was the other way round for me. SuSE came first and debian came second.

use the suse rescue cd to fix grub.........
    regards,
    ordoni

i did, sort of. the SuSE install refused to boot for some reason and i did a fix for it. then, it only showed SuSE, windows and SuSE failsafe (debian erased windows). a little fiddling got it right in the end tho.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?