Find the answer to your Linux question:
I should be installing my new mother board and prcessor today, along with Debian 64! I'm excited and felt the need to post!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I should be installing...

I should be installing my new mother board and prcessor today, along with Debian 64! I'm excited and felt the need to post!
    MCP | Network+

Congrats. I know all too well that "new PC" smell.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Cool, be sure to post back with any details of performance differences on 64 bit. I'm quite curious about performance of 64bit at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Cool, be sure to post back with any details of performance differences on 64 bit. I'm quite curious about performance of 64bit at the moment.
    I can offer a bit on that. So far, I noticed no difference in tasks I perform day to day between 32-bit and 64-bit on a 64-bit processor. I did notice that upgrading from an Athlon XP 2700+ to an AMD64 3200+ resulted in a pretty nice boost of performance for the 32-bit software I ran on it... but that probably has more to do with the on-die memory controller.

To answer the inevitable question "Well, just what ARE the tasks you perform day to day", they include the following:

Web browsing/Instant Messaging/Email
    Compiling programs in C/C++ and Java
    Playing 3D-intensive and not 3D-intensive computer games
    Listening to/burning/ripping music CDs
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

My dad swore up and down that Windows 64 bit was the greatest on his 3500+, although I highly doubt it. Think of it like this: You just found some super grease that makes you go faster, do you put it on your skateboard wheels or throw it on the axle of your car? I know very little about you young punks on your skateboards and such but it would seem to me that the super grease would work better on the lighter object of transportation, in this case a skateboard.

Sure, you will feel like a bigger man with your 64 bit OS but in many cases (take Windows 64) there aren't a whole lot of drivers for it and you might not get that "huge boost" in speed like you thought you were going to get. I would throw on a 64 bit OS and see how you like it and then make a decision on if you want to keep it or format and go 32 bit until operating systems actually take advantage of a 64 bit proc.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    My dad swore up and down that Windows 64 bit was the greatest on his 3500+, although I highly doubt it. Think of it like this: You just found some super grease that makes you go faster, do you put it on your skateboard wheels or throw it on the axle of your car? I know very little about you young punks on your skateboards and such but it would seem to me that the super grease would work better on the lighter object of transportation, in this case a skateboard.

Sure, you will feel like a bigger man with your 64 bit OS but in many cases (take Windows 64) there aren't a whole lot of drivers for it and you might not get that "huge boost" in speed like you thought you were going to get. I would throw on a 64 bit OS and see how you like it and then make a decision on if you want to keep it or format and go 32 bit until operating systems actually take advantage of a 64 bit proc.
    Well, I have Bian 32 & 64 bit, plus Win XP 32 & 64 bit, and Longhorne Beta at my disposal.
    MCP | Network+

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Congrats. I know all too well that "new PC" smell.

thank god i am not the only freak who gets a thrill out of the smell of a new motherboard, even the smell of the processor the first time you boot is thrilling.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux User
    about 7 yrs ago my uncle started using a SPARC(and about 3 yrs ago purchased a sparc ultra) processor, hes never swiched back, i find it to be very fast, but only while running 64bit applications. Right now, there really arent any that are specificaly made for 64 bit, therefor once they do become more common the 64bit performance will not be very noticable...

oh yes, he hosts a lot of servers for companies...