30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Intergrated

12 40.00%
  • Expensive (over 100$) pci sound card

6 20.00%
  • Inexpensive (under 100$) pci sound card

12 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I never listen to music on my computer, it has a fairly nice VIA VT8235 soundcard with a Realtek ALC202 18 bit CODEC, a lot better than a SoundBlaster 16, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I never listen to music on my computer, it has a fairly nice VIA VT8235 soundcard with a Realtek ALC202 18 bit CODEC, a lot better than a SoundBlaster 16, but it sounds like a monaural AM radio from the Dollar Tree compared to my stereo, a Linn SONDEK LP12 turntable ($800/used), Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood Phono Cartridge ($800), Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated Amp($1095.00/used), and Infinity Audio Primis speakers ($700/pair). Its a weird combination, but I ran out of cash and had to settle for cheap speakers, hell I had to take out a loan to buy the turntable. Cheap as it is, it makes you never want to listen to computer audio or those cheesy home theatre systems ever again.

Just Joined!
    sound blaster live value (very old, but works)

Hercules Gamesurround Muse XL. It sounds impressive, but it's really just a cheapie $20 PCI card I picked up in college because my integrated sound card wouldn't let me play Quake 3 in Linux. In a moment of geeky coolness, I must add that the card came bundled with a combination headphones/headset microphone with "Hercules" on it, which is what tipped me to buy it instead of the house-brand card on the shelf next to it.

It uses the C-Media 8738 chipset. In other computers I've built, I have also bought brown-bag house brand PCI cards with this chipset and have had nothing but success with them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Integrated Intel card.

I've never used anything else, and my speakers aren't that good of quality anyway :/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    unless you're in the professional music/media buisness, i really dont see any reason to buy an expensive soundcard.

integrated
    integrated audio steals CPU cycles.

Linux Enthusiast
    audigy 2 platinum

Just Joined!
    I used to have a SoundBlaster, but now use the Default Intel Stuff. Honestly, I can't tell a difference, and I have it routed through my stero on AUX, so it's probably not that. I just don't bother getting anything else.

Linux Engineer
    I use a SoundBlaster Live! 24bit. Just needed something better than the onboard stuff, and the Audigy series were a bit too much to me...
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2