Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whoa. I downloaded PCLinuxOS today, and was amazed. I got it communicate with my wireless network in about 4 minutes, was iming in 5, and all my hardware worked perfectly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

PCLinuxOS. Whoa.

Whoa.

I downloaded PCLinuxOS today, and was amazed. I got it communicate with my wireless network in about 4 minutes, was iming in 5, and all my hardware worked perfectly out of the box! My SuSE still doesn't work quite right!!!!! The perfect linux for me would be PCLinuxOS's hardware detection with YaST's huge database of more up to date programs.

Anybody else like PCLinuxOs???

-FanFan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Re: PCLinuxOS. Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by fanfan1313
    I downloaded PCLinuxOS today, and was amazed. I got it communicate with my wireless network in about 4 minutes, was iming in 5, and all my hardware worked perfectly out of the box! My SuSE still doesn't work quite right!!!!! The perfect linux for me would be PCLinuxOS's hardware detection with YaST's huge database of more up to date programs.
    Every Linux distro has a huge database of up-to-date programs, as long as you enable the right repositories. PCLinuxOS uses a combination of Debian's Synaptic/apt-get system with Mandrake RPMs. See more here:

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...=7353&forum=53

Just Joined!
    I have heard all kinds of good things about it, though I never tried it... yet that is but I am going to try it here in a few months [let it develop a bit more]

but a lot of debain users I know give it a big thumbs up, many cant tell its a RPM based distro...
    thats a good sign as most RPM based distros make debian users angry

Just Joined!
    I have liked it since I downloaded .810 outlaw version about 6 months ago. Nice looking and jam-packed with apps. To me it was knoppix with a little diffrent look. excellent hardware detection and setup, on the net at startup.
    My only quirk was; the sound on KDE startup was set to MAX and there was no volume icon in the tray so I ended up waking the whole house before finding the volume controll.
    When my system began acting up 2 or 3 months ago, I booted into PClinuxOS daily for about 6 weeks prior to building my new system (speakers turned off until after bootup of course).

Just Joined!
    I've heard a lot of good things about it, even a good review from BSDForums.org. I'll have to give it a try sometime.