Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK, I just built my friend a new computer and his mother will not let him keep his old Compaq in the house so we decided to take it out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

uh-oh I'm in a bit of a pickle

OK, I just built my friend a new computer and his mother will not let him keep his old Compaq in the house so we decided to take it out to the garage and perform expiriments on it . I first yanked off the heatsink, plugged it in the garage outlet and booted, the thing completely fried itself which was hilarious. Then something hit us.. an appetite for destruction, my buddy got a turkey baster and we shot water into the PSU to fry that. Then we took it out onto a hill and beat the living piss out of it. Well I get a call today from my friend saying that we fried the socket and his parents are furious. Now that it is later in the evening he says that they have calmed down and he (we) will most likely not have to pay for it but I gotta get on the phone with his parents and talk to them, say what we were doing, and apologize.. I am so nervous I can't take it. What should I do? I have horrible speaking and people skills.. My friend has done his part and now I must do mine.. any tips to relaxing so I can talk with these people? Any tips on what I should say? We were both screwing around and we were stupid that we didn't unlug the cord after the proc expiriment, and I have no problem talking with his parents but I am so nervous. Thanks for the advice.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    You shouldn't have been messing around with a PSU at all. (not smart)

As for talking to his parent's. Generally when I am in trouble, they start talking first. You might go from there.

Just be upfront and honest. Let them know it was a spur of the moment thing, you didn't think things out before you acted, and you're embarassed by your actions. Apologize and tell them that you're willing to help pay to have the socket fixed. You could also offer to wash their car as a gesture of goodwill.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It's OK to be nervous, don't get upset about that. It takes an honest and mature person to admit to their mistakes. You will feel better after you talk to them and admit what you did and that it was wrong. The sooner you get it over with, the sooner it will be behind you. Nervous or not, I'd do it as soon as possible.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    just tell them the truth, depending on your age, if your above 21, i would suggest using the intoxicated exuse, but it doesnt look like u are...

OK, thanks guys.. I'm going to do it soon..

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    just tell them the truth.
    I agree with this.

depending on your age, if your above 21, i would suggest using the intoxicated exuse, but it doesnt look like u are..
    As a parent of a 20yo this would go over like a lead balloon, excuses are a dime a dozen. Being upfront and admiting your mistake is the only way to go.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    As a parent of a 20yo this would go over like a lead balloon, excuses are a dime a dozen. Being upfront and admiting your mistake is the only way to go.
    LOL ok then dont tell them that...

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Being upfront and admiting your mistake is the only way to go.
    Here, here!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

::George Harrison takes a deep sigh of relief::

That went well for the most part. It was a minute and a half phone call where I said that I felt terrible and that I was sorry. It wasn't too bad, but my voice was shaky and it kept cracking. After his mom listened to me for a bit I just said what we were doing and I made a few cracks on how stupid we were. After getting her to laugh and say "Well mistakes happen now and then, it's OK and thanks for calling" and the hang up I was truly relieved..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast