Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I've seen lots of questions on this forum about how to get RAID working on Linux, but I don't know anything about it myself. What are the benefits to setting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Benefits of RAID?

I've seen lots of questions on this forum about how to get RAID working on Linux, but I don't know anything about it myself. What are the benefits to setting up drives in a RAID configuration? What's the overall point to it? What makes it so wonderful that people will bang their heads into walls for weeks trying to get it to work in Linux? I'm genuinely curious. Enlighten me.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Here's the lowdown on Raid.

http://www.prepressure.com/techno/raid.htm

I use Raid 0 for video capture. One SCSI has a data rate of @ 50MB/sec, running 2 in Raid 0 the data rate is @ 100MB/sec, and running 4 in Raid 0 the data rate increases to @ 115MB/sec.

I used to run Raid 0 on my main boot drive on my gaming rig but it's a major pain when one of the drives dies as you have to completely rebuild the array and reinstall the OS.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Linux User
    There are none, other than increased hair loss through ripping out large chucks of it!!!

Though it either makes your data a lot safer (each HDD has /exactly/ the same operations performed on it so if one fails you can keep going) or a lot quicker to access (it places the same data on each HDD, but accesses half of whatever is being accessed from one and the other half from the other).
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Here's the lowdown on Raid.

http://www.prepressure.com/techno/raid.htm
    Well explained, and I can see why companies would want RAID on their servers. However, why would someone want to go to that much trouble for a desktop system?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Well explained, and I can see why companies would want RAID on their servers. However, why would someone want to go to that much trouble for a desktop system?
    Because their controller seemed not to let them do anything different, the little rascal...
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Linux User
    yes it seems prety usless to me

Quote Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
    Because their controller seemed not to let them do anything different, the little rascal...
    Haha. Well in the case of the VIA K8T800, I can say with confidence that yes, you can hook up 2 SATA drives in a non-RAID configuration.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just to let you know I edited my post to show why people run Raid 0 to get a performance gain.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    Just to let you know I edited my post to show why people run Raid 0 to get a performance gain.
    Ok. The more I learn about it the less I see it as necessary or even desirable to me personally. So it's useful for servers and high-level multimedia. Ok. I'll move along then.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Haha. Well in the case of the VIA K8T800, I can say with confidence that yes, you can hook up 2 SATA drives in a non-RAID configuration.
    Now you're just rubbing it in! :P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast