Find the answer to your Linux question:
with the new features and crap being added to windoze vista? will KDE have bigger & better animated gimmicks before the thing is finally released? is it already possible to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can linux keep up..

with the new features and crap being added to windoze vista? will KDE have bigger & better animated gimmicks before the thing is finally released? is it already possible to make any given window transparent on KDE/gnome?

the little effects are not all that useful but transparent windows, and there are some other features that I might like. I wonder how vista is going to affect linux, will people switch back, will nobody switch to linux anymore or will it be such a pile of crap that nobody will want to use it?

There is also a lot to be said for a universal /Applications folder and a /Drivers folder. I'm not saying get rid of /etc but maybe have it both ways like on mac os?

Yes, you can have transparent windows in Linux:

http://autistici.org/encelo/grabs/thunder8.jpg

Why would you want to? Take a look at that screenshot--can you really operate a computer like that? I make my Gnome terminal/console transparent, but that's about it.

It's not about Linux keeping up with Windows--it's the reverse. Transparency? That's old-school Linux stuff. Windows' new security? Old school.

As for file structures, check out GoboLinux:

http://www.gobolinux.org/

Linux Engineer

Re: Can linux keep up..

Quote Originally Posted by towel401
    with the new features and crap being added to windoze vista? will KDE have bigger & better animated gimmicks before the thing is finally released? is it already possible to make any given window transparent on KDE/gnome?

the little effects are not all that useful but transparent windows, and there are some other features that I might like. I wonder how vista is going to affect linux, will people switch back, will nobody switch to linux anymore or will it be such a pile of crap that nobody will want to use it?

There is also a lot to be said for a universal /Applications folder and a /Drivers folder. I'm not saying get rid of /etc but maybe have it both ways like on mac os?
    I don't know anything about windoze. I do remember however using a certain OS on my system that goes by the name of Windows. Is that what you're referring to?

You don't pick linux because of the graphical effects. That is one of the lousiest arguments I've heard. If you picked linux because it looks nice, stick to Windows. You can make that look nice also.

Transparency is possible. If you like the Mac OS X way, why don't you check out some BSD distro's? Mac OS X is based on them. It is another unix-derivate. You should try it out. Linux has a tree structure that has been thought about thoroughly, the /etc directory is, in my humble opinion, a very useful one. As far as my knowledge goes.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    By the time Vista is officially released (4th quarter) next year I'm sure that all the favorite distros will have made many improvements and will offer as much as Vista but more configurable.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Linux Engineer

KDE and Gnome are so far ahead of Microsoft in desktop inovations. The last time Windows really changed its desktop was Windows 95.

KDE/Gnome:
    Multiple Desktops
    Taskbar
    Menus
    Tabbing In Many Applications
    Desktop Enhancements (Xgl, Cairo, Composite Extension)
    Icons
    Total Customization
    Different Windowing Environemtnts (GTK, Qt, etc)

Windows:
    Taskbar
    Menus
    Icons

Re: Can linux keep up..

Quote Originally Posted by towel401
    I wonder how vista is going to affect linux, will people switch back, will nobody switch to linux anymore or will it be such a pile of crap that nobody will want to use it?
    I, for one, don't care. Please direct all Vista discussion to this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-50000.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants