Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is the first site I have created. Two weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about html, I just finished it up today and feel a lot more confident. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] looking for feedback on my new website

This is the first site I have created. Two weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about html, I just finished it up today and feel a lot more confident. I really enjoy this, more than I thought I would at first.

I am asking for feedback on the site: layout, appearance, ease of navigation, how everything lines up in your browser, etc. Help me improve it.

http://www.harvest-fields.net

Thanks

Just Joined!
    So far so great. All you need (?) to learn is whatever language lets you make "Extras" a drop-down menu. But for someone with two weeks' experience of HTML, it looks good, layout and everything.

New Website Feedback

I like it - nice clean design.

However, your first paragraph under "Our Ministry" on the about.html page is being overwritten in my browser (Firefox 1.0.6) by something. I am also having trouble copying it to see what is happening. Your html code looks okay, but you have a paragraph containing only a "" which may be causing the problem.

I will take a closer look at it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    its fast and simple. i suggest to center it since the header is not exact with width of (your resolution).

For the drop-down menu, you could try PHP. The site itself looks OK, but I agree that you should center everything, makes it look nicer. I tried out a couple of other browsers (and no, not IE), in Konqueror it looks fine (same as in firefox), in Dillo it looks a bit weird (some things are not aligned as they should be) and it's nearly navigatable in links
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

New Website

Also, on all of your "other" pages, there is no "Home" reference, to allow a viewer to get back to your index.html page.

Re: New Website Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by celticgeek
    I like it - nice clean design.

However, your first paragraph under "Our Ministry" on the about.html page is being overwritten in my browser (Firefox 1.0.6) by something. I am also having trouble copying it to see what is happening. Your html code looks okay, but you have a paragraph containing only a "" which may be causing the problem.

I will take a closer look at it.
    same here (I think). Also firefox
    http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7268/shot2bn.png
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    great, thanks for the screenshot, that was very helpful. I think it should be fixed now, but would you mind taking another quick look for me?

I have wanted to center the contents of the page, but I have been unable to do this succesfully so far. Should I try to use <div align="center">?

And celticgeek, thanks for noticing the lack of a "home" button, I had the header linked to /index.html, but I don't think that's intuitive enough. I will have to rethink the /index.html link.

The drop down menu is a doosey. I don't want to think of how many hours I have tried to make something work. The extras page is pretty cheesy and I want to do it properly once I learn how. php you say? I will look into that. I would think I should be able to find an applet to work, but perhaps php offers a simpler solution.

If you don't have a blog yet, I wouldn't put it under extras as "coming soon"--I'd just leave it out. Maybe it's just me, but I hate clicking on something only to have it lead to nowhere.

Linux Newbie
    did you use dreamweaver?
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast