Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was thinking of trying to run some new games and other apps that are really popular (for instance MS Office and MSN etc) on wine, and then making a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A Wine experiment!

I was thinking of trying to run some new games and other apps that are really popular (for instance MS Office and MSN etc) on wine, and then making a list of those which work and how well they work. There are sites like frankscorner.org but I have not seen any changes there in a long time.

Recently I've been unable to use my Linux box, and I'm stuck with a notebook that has XP on it. I definitely want to do this in the near future.

I wanted some suggestions about what programs people think are popular, and then try to run them. Wine for apps and certain games, and Cedega for other games.

I would also like to know alternatives for popular Windows programs. OpenOffice.org/Koffice instead of MS Office, or Gaim instead of MSN.

This has probably been done before, but I want to do it for myself and make a list of all this stuff.

Thanks for listening.
    Registered Linux User #395492
    My blog: http://www.khooban.com/nucleus/?&blogid=2
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

crossover office is another good way to run windows apps in linux from what i heard. open office is a good replacement for MS Office and GAIM is a good replacement for yahoo aim and msn messenger. gimp is a decent replacement for photoshop but for serious work i have heard photoshop is still the way to go which btw is one app i have heard that works with crossover office. i am slowly learning everyday on apps that replace the ones i use and for everything else till then is a good candidate for dual booting.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Just Joined!

Try...

Halo 2! Halo2!

^_~

Linux Enthusiast

Re: Try...

Quote Originally Posted by LadyPixel
    Halo 2! Halo2!

^_~
    Is for XBOX! Is for XBOX!

:P

Banned

Re: A Wine experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by warrion_2000
    I was thinking of trying to run some new games and other apps that are really popular (for instance MS Office and MSN etc) on wine, and then making a list of those which work and how well they work. There are sites like frankscorner.org but I have not seen any changes there in a long time.

Recently I've been unable to use my Linux box, and I'm stuck with a notebook that has XP on it. I definitely want to do this in the near future.

I wanted some suggestions about what programs people think are popular, and then try to run them. Wine for apps and certain games, and Cedega for other games.

I would also like to know alternatives for popular Windows programs. OpenOffice.org/Koffice instead of MS Office, or Gaim instead of MSN.

This has probably been done before, but I want to do it for myself and make a list of all this stuff.

Thanks for listening.
    IMO their is no reason for porting either MS Office or MSN to GNU/Linux, since I find their native apps already better.

Things I'd like to see ported:

From MS Windows:
    Games and Photoshop(IMO only needed for professionals, the Gimp is good enough for everything I ever needed myself)

From Apple:
    Itunes, Quicktime and Quartz.

Mabe a little off topic?

I think it would be a great idea for you to see what programs from Windows work using wine or crossover office.

Just make a list of programs, then say:

How they work using Wine
    How they work using Crossover Office
    If there is a Linux equivilant.

Also just for me would you please look into Winamp. I think the Linux equivilant of Winamp dosn't support .MP3 files, and Real Player dosn't have a media player list.
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen

Also just for me would you please look into Winamp. I think the Linux equivilant of Winamp dosn't support .MP3 files, and Real Player dosn't have a media player list.
    Eh...?
    All xmms, beep(xmms and beep are both based on winamp), xine , mplayer, ... do support mp3.
    Since you're using Suse, see:
    http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=3601

Linux User
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Just Joined!
    Codeweavers (Crossover Office) keeps a pretty good list what does and does not work.
    Good comment about not putting MSOffice on Crossover (Wine), BUT: If you need to run an Excel application with lot of Vbasic and macros, then you will need to install Excel.
    Photoshop 6 (maybe 7?) runs on Crossover, but CS does not.

My wish list to get into Linux somehow:
    Fasttrack (scheduling tool)
    ACDSee (still the best photo album app
    Better scanner support
    Specialized digital photo tools---eg Panorama SW

Suggestion: Rather than re-inventing the wheel, why not support Codeweavers efforts. Take a look at their website to see what they are looking for.