Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This is an article I found from the web. http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/5967/1/ Its a good read and a nice concept...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A concept called SimDesk

This is an article I found from the web.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/5967/1/

Its a good read and a nice concept

sounds about like the subscription services touted by microsoft and other software companies.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

I don't see how this is any different from me ssh-ing into my home server from ANY internet connected computer...

What is interesting, is I live in Indiana and it appears some of this technology may be available to me, so I will have to check it out...but I still don't see anything revolutionary about this...I have already been doing this for years:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Quote Originally Posted by deek
    What is interesting, is I live in Indiana and it appears some of this technology may be available to me, so I will have to check it out...but I still don't see anything revolutionary about this...I have already been doing this for years
    Same here. "Access email from any computer with a web browser?" Whoopee, any web-based email service offers this, including mine, Gmail.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Sometimes I laugh when I hear about commercial windows software that does the same thing as SSH, only less reliably. Remote access technology has been around for decades - it's a shame it hasn't caught on for the average user.
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Linux User
    We have the same system at work i can log in to any company owned clients and get my files, mail and even have my own desk top.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    well it depends on how you look at it. the article says that its targeting libraries and municipal councils for general public access. so i guess that its the library or the municipal council that will be paying for the subscription. well, anyway, if it appears in Indiana, deek can give us a review about it when he sees it.

here, in my country, one of the ways the government is using to try to increase PC usage is by setting up computer labs in all the schools and having the textbooks in a CD form. so if you don't have a PC at home, you can't do your homework. a system like this will work well here.

Linux User
    Sounds like Windows Terminal Services to me. Talk about a con. :P
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Well, I found a little blurb about simIndiana on the state website. It was unveiled in the capital in June 2004. It looked like it was just being piloted down in Indy (I live in Fort Wayne, about 120 miles north) and basically to the libraries.

I checked with my local libraries site, but didn't find any information there. It said that other libraries were mailed information packets, but didn't give a list of places that tried it out. At some point, I will go to the library and check out what they have on-site, but for now, I can't find access to this at all...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

And this is different from VNC and SSH how?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast