Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by LondoJowo You also need to send your friend to the following link. http://thethin.net/thanks.swf that is to the Point : P hmmm maybe i should plug in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    You also need to send your friend to the following link.

http://thethin.net/thanks.swf
    that is to the Point : P
    hmmm maybe i should plug in the speakers then hit it again...
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i say dont do anything and when his system gets hosed sit back with a big "i told you so" grin on your face.
    I'd say: crack his system - make sure he can't find out it was you, but make also sure he cannot deny he has been cracked - and then you come along with the big "I told you so" grin.

or let him know it was you.. itd be funnier. plus it would make a point.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i say dont do anything and when his system gets hosed sit back with a big "i told you so" grin on your face.
    I'd say: crack his system - make sure he can't find out it was you, but make also sure he cannot deny he has been cracked - and then you come along with the big "I told you so" grin.
    If I thinks he's fine with root, I doubt he would know how to track even the most basic thing.

Oh yeah, sudo isn't so great because if they can get your password, they could screw something up. But if you don't own the system and don't get the root password, that sucks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK thanks for the tips guys. I'm not stressing over this or anything - it's not my system, but I just thought I would share it with you guys.. The thing that annoyed me the most was that he was a bit arrogant about it and he obviously thought he was untouchable. Even if I knew how to brute force into systems I would not crack him, but the day he does get cracked and/or completely screws his system over is the day I will laugh.. unfortunately he installs Linux distros as much as he drinks water so I don't expect that this will happen but he told me that he runs Firefox under lots of questionable sites (bittorrent sharing sites, pr0n, etc.) so.. it's bound to happen. We'll see how this plays out.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    It doesn't really matter.... He could just as easily be using su/sudo and cause the same problems.

Banned
    If he thinks he's that secure using a firewall, ask him to sign a paper(including his email) saying he will not sue(or even complain) anyone for trying to hack it, post a scan of it and I'll surely help you

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    It doesn't really matter.... He could just as easily be using su/sudo and cause the same problems.
    Sudo is actually more secure in this(mostly cause it can't use as many commands at the same time).

Linux Guru
    a few comments have been removed from this thread about erasing the hard drive... a lot of newbies read this forum, the last thing we need is for one of them to think "hey, what does this do" and go try it out

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    a few comments have been removed from this thread about erasing the hard drive... a lot of newbies read this forum, the last thing we need is for one of them to think "hey, what does this do" and go try it out
    Well, you caught us!
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Sorta like the ole deltree command used in Win9x eh??
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast