Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everybody. I'm new here. I received an automated email from this site telling me I should post here and say "hi", and I always do what my email tells ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Hey everybody. I'm new here. I received an automated email from this site telling me I should post here and say "hi", and I always do what my email tells me to, lest I make it angry.

Soo...hi!

Anyway. I've been playing with Linux for about a week now. I've already posted and received help on some issues. You guys are great! I hope to become proficient with Linux as soon as possible...a task that would scare me if I couldn't come here for help.

I've chosen Ubuntu as my distribution. It takes care of some of the harder stuff, such as hardware detection, while still requiring me to learn my way around the OS (meaning, its not overly userfriendly like windows).

Lets see, what else. I'm a 22 year old male currently living in Blacksburg, VA, USA. Studying Computer Science at Radford University.

Ok, thats about it for now. I'm sure you'll see me around begging for help every once in a while, until such time as I am able to be the one providing the help.
    - EndianX -

Welcome to the forum

Lets see, what else. I'm a 22 year old male currently living in Blacksburg, VA, USA. Studying Computer Science at Radford University.
    Good thing you posted this as I almost asked if you were a Hokie when I saw that you were from Blacksburg. I live about 70 miles to the east of you on 460.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome,welcome... have fun and visit often!

Linux Engineer
    Hello!

By the way most OSs take care of (most) hardware detection automatically in most cases.

welcome to the forum

Linux Newbie
    Thank you all for the warm welcome

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    By the way most OSs take care of (most) hardware detection automatically in most cases.
    Oh I'm sorry. I forgot to mention I'm using a laptop Even Windows (which is supposed to have great hardware detection) can't detect half of my stuff. I wasn't able to get Debian working. I'm sure I'll be able to once I have a little more experience.
    - EndianX -

Welcome!

May the Source be with you!

greetings and salutations EndianX
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

welcome

I was so disapointed in XP when I switched I was glad when i grad from Collage I will be glad I did my com crased 8 times with xp sence I switched I am happy the more I learn the better it gets