Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi guys, i recentally have purchased all the nessicary parts to build a computer for a friend of mine. among theese parts is a 160 gigabyte sata hard disk. from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

... a windows question..

hi guys, i recentally have purchased all the nessicary parts to build a computer for a friend of mine. among theese parts is a 160 gigabyte sata hard disk. from what i understand sata was not around when winXP came about. no big deal though right? all i need to do during the install is hit F6 to install a third party raid driver or scsi driver aye? so i do that and then it reconiges the hard drive and formats ect. but when it needs to copy the sata drivers to do the install (after it formats and when it copies the install files) it says that it cannot copy the files. does this have to do with the fact that i have a pirated version of windows? if i hit skip the file it copies all the install files and stuff the the hard drive and when i boot i see the windows xp logo and the little loading bar under it. but i get a blue screen with a weirdo error. any ideas? thanks guys
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

does this have to do with the fact that i have a pirated version of windows?
    I think you answered your own question.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

possibally. but then why does it allow me to load a sata driver to format and partition the driver, but it will not allow me to copy a driver at a later time? i dunno.. im guessing that theres a way around this..
    I can imagine a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without war. Then I can imagine us attacking that world because they\'d never expect it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The fact that the copy is pirated may have something to do with it, as it is a COPY. Not the original, and it may not have been copied correctly.

But I do believe you need the SATA driver that is on a floppy disk. Not just a scsi driver.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    Why pirate proprietary software when there's free replacements?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Why pirate proprietary software when there's free replacements?
    Because Linux isnt always a realistic alternative.

I have noticed with prited ver of xp most folks have probs I think MS has finally figered out how to combat that prob I had hell with XP my pc crased 8 times so I switched to Linux and I love it

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotwheelz
    Because Linux isnt always a realistic alternative.
    HERETIC!!!

You'll need a specific SATA driver rather than a SCSI driver, because you are trying to use SATA drives rather than SCSI drives. Not a huge leap in logic there, I hope.
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

I know what the problem is and it has nothing to do with the driver as he said he used the SATA driver disk. I won't help someone to install a pirated copy of Windows as it goes against my standards.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

nah i know what the problem is but you install sata drivers as you install scsi drivers (i guess thats why i said scsi) lol i never tried to install a scsi driver but yea. i got it figured out .. although he did say
    well... can we put linux on it in the meantime?
    so maby ill get lucky and well stick with it.. the only problem would be runnin doom3 and half life2... as for helping me install pirated software.. dontworry about it if it goes aginanst your standards.. i figured it out anyway.. for thouse of you who wanna know how, i needed to slipstream the drivers into a seprate folder and then tell windows to look into that folder by editing the txtsetup.sif file sorry if i offended anypone in this post/thread

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast