Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
Hey, can u show us a pic of your collage when you are done?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Linux Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Luton, England, UK, Earth
    Posts
    639

    Hey, can u show us a pic of your collage when you are done?

  2. #12
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    :noitacoL
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Londo
    Me neither but then again I never went to college yet I have a engineering position.
    Yeah, but did your boss go to college?

  3. #13
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Peterborough, UK
    Posts
    379
    I would imagine Informatica is Computer Science...
    \"I am, after all,\" said Pooh, \"a bear of very little brain.\"
    MY PC: Athlon XP64 3000+ on a Asus K8V-X mobo w/1GB of non-descript RAM. AGP - GeForce 2 MX400. PCI - Creative Live! 5.1 soundcard. 140 GB and 120 GB SATA WD drives.

  4. #14
    Linux Engineer LondoJowo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFourthBeast
    Quote Originally Posted by Londo
    Me neither but then again I never went to college yet I have a engineering position.
    Yeah, but did your boss go to college?
    No, but his boss did. Personally I think too much emphasis is put on having a college education, Most of the people who do are college grads. Having a college degree doesn't guarantee that the person can do the job where as having practical experience does.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

  5. #15
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    No, but his boss did. Personally I think too much emphasis is put on having a college education, Most of the people who do are college grads. Having a college degree doesn't guarantee that the person can do the job where as having practical experience does.
    Personally, I think people who say too much emphasis is placed on college education don't have it. Sure, practical experience is always helpful, but some companies are not willing to put their money and time behind someone they don't feel they can fully trust.

    A degree gives them a (perhaps false) sense of security, much like a certification. I'm not saying non-college-degreed people couldn't do the job just as well or better, but many folks (myself included) would trust someone who made the personal and financial commitment to a 4-year university much easier than someone who didn't.

    I won't argue whether or not the perception is valid, but you cannot ignore the fact that it exists.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  6. #16
    Linux Engineer LondoJowo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    804
    It's a good thing that some employers put a similar emphasis on someone who put in a voluntary 12 year commitment to the military and got out as an E-7 (E-9 is as far as the enlisted ranks go).
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

  7. #17
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by LondoJowo
    It's a good thing that some employers put a similar emphasis on someone who put in a voluntary 12 year commitment to the military and got out as an E-7 (E-9 is as far as the enlisted ranks go).
    True, I think military training should also count, and does in most cases. In some fields military training is actually preferred to private educational degrees.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  8. #18
    Linux Engineer LondoJowo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    804
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    True, I think military training should also count, and does in most cases. In some fields military training is actually preferred to private educational degrees.
    Specially when you working with similar equipment as what you worked on in the military. Granted the technology is like comparing the stone age to star wars as most of the equipment I worked on the Navy was late 50's early 60's vintage. I now work with PLC's, digital/electronic speed control governors, digital voltage regulars, and computer based HMI systems using either in-house or third party software.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

  9. #19
    Just Joined! bobkat357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    76
    I will hopefuly learn to spell writeing code does not take much spelling any way :P

  10. #20
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat357
    I will hopefuly learn to spell writeing code does not take much spelling any way :P
    Haha. Isn't that the truth.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •