Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Ubuntu isn't for everyone, but it's nice, especially if you have the Ubuntu Guide ( http://www.ubuntuguide.org )...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ubuntu isn't for everyone, but it's nice, especially if you have the Ubuntu Guide ( http://www.ubuntuguide.org )

oz
    forum.guy
    I've tried it a number of times as new releases came out but I simply don't like it. It just doesn't feel, or look right to me. That's not to say that it's bad, though.

You really should try it because it might be like "heaven, here on earth" for you.

Linux User
    I didn't like it when i first tried it (4.10) because of the use of sudo rather than su and also due to the fact that it used gnome rather than KDE, which at the time was my desktop manager of choice.

Just recently I installed it on my laptop (5.04) and gave it another chance.

What I do like about it is that it is simple and fairly lightweight. The installation is contained in a single CD, that is a plus, and it includes nearly every linux app that I use in the default installation: Firefox, Gaim, XChat, GIMP, etc

It was on my laptop for about a week, currently I'm running Windows XP, as connecting to my school's network was a pain in linux. First time I really used Windows for a LONG time, and now I'm remembering why I don't use it.

Getting back to the topic, currently, I'll give Ubuntu a reluctant thumbs up. I don't hate it, I don't love it, but I am willing to use it.

Just Joined!
    I tried it out on my grandparents' computer, it was ok. The brown theme was horrible though.

Fedora/Suse/Mandrake ftw.

If you are running Slackware 10.1 right now, I can't imagine why you would want to downgrade to "ubuntu" >shudder<
    PTL x10 Hallelujah!
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 512MB RAM Dual 80G WD HD 8MB Cache (1 WinXP Home, 1 CentOS 4.2) GeForce Ti4200 128MB SB Live! 5.1
    Registered Linux user #391521

Linux User
    i didnt like it, i use debian mainly, its just to simple, its not even fun... and the world peace thing(hippies are trying to jack linux )...

Just Joined!
    Well I'd figure I'd try it out because it is new to me and I feel the need to learn it. I just opened the package and there is a live cd in it. I will try that first before i do anything. If i like it Ill put it on the extra 80gb hard drive i have. Thanks for the replies.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You'll find many varying opinions of Ubuntu on this forum. I for one hate it, but to each their own.
    I dislike the sudo stuff not to mention it not comming with key utilities to build software. Moe your review was fairly funny
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by winter
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    You'll find many varying opinions of Ubuntu on this forum. I for one hate it, but to each their own.
    I dislike the sudo stuff not to mention it not comming with key utilities to build software. Moe your review was fairly funny
    He also aksed NOT to mention why you think it rocks or sucks.
    Don't make me reply on this again.

Note to all: please keep this discussion limited to whether or not you like it and not why Ubuntu sucks or doesn't. I don't want to have to lock yet ANOTHER Ubuntu thread.
    I find Ubuntu one of the best distros for both advanced and new users(especially if you like GNOME and if this is a DE system).
    Do give it a try.

Just Joined!
    My opinion: ubuntu is a pretty good all-round distro. It probably could be worked on a bit...but it seems adequate.

The reason it has made such an impact is because they ship the CDs out to anywhere in teh world for free. I took advantage of that deal and ordered many CDs. I gave them out to some friends, and they seemed to find the liveCD pretty cool...a few of em installed the system to their harddrive.

my favorite part is summed up by zachtib:
    Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    What I do like about it is that it is simple and fairly lightweight. The installation is contained in a single CD, that is a plus, and it includes nearly every linux app that I use in the default installation: Firefox, Gaim, XChat, GIMP, etc
    If you're curious...install it. What harm could it pose?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast