Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I think it is an okay distro, but it is easy to break... well it was easy to break for me......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I think it is an okay distro, but it is easy to break...

well it was easy to break for me...

Quote Originally Posted by ladymecha
    I think it is an okay distro, but it is easy to break...

well it was easy to break for me...
    Every distro is easy to break if you're using root or sudo.

Just Joined!
    I tried it once, and didn't care for it. Probably because I prefer KDE. However, one question I have is what they have done to improve on Debian? Is it just the fact that they are able to have a faster release cycle because they pare down the number of apps? If so, it would seem to me that with Sarge released now Ubunto would be on the wane for a while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeard
    I tried it once, and didn't care for it. Probably because I prefer KDE. However, one question I have is what they have done to improve on Debian? Is it just the fact that they are able to have a faster release cycle because they pare down the number of apps? If so, it would seem to me that with Sarge released now Ubunto would be on the wane for a while.
    Ubuntu is mainly based on testing and unstable (Etch and Sid).
    They've also build their own repos out of them(Ubuntu is also more financially supported, what makes it easier to do more releases and more updates since they can pay for developers).
    Luckily, Debian is starting to accept Ubuntu(might have something to do with DCC), so this can all benefit Debian as well.
    It's also more focused on the desktop (Debian is focused on everything, making it a little harder to select the right software if you just want a desktop system).

If you're using Slack, it's also nice to see a different(I like both and think both are needed) approach in GNU/Linux.

PS: One last thing: NEVER consider an OS/Distro to be bad cause others tell you so...

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Luckily, Debian is starting to accept Ubuntu(might have something to do with DCC), so this can all benefit Debian as well.
    That is the best thing I have heard all day!
    PS: One last thing: NEVER consider an OS/Distro to be bad cause others tell you so...
    *claps*
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    Its doing my job.
    That's what I require.

(Well then so does my Win98SE!)

(Yes, I am a fan of 98SE and also Ubuntu. I wish I can install enlightenment on ubuntu.)

The opposite is also true. Simply because someone like me gives a glowing review to some distro doesn't mean you will necessarily agree with it. I concur on the original point though: try it out. Only you know what works for you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i've only been using Linux for about 3 weeks and have tried at least 10 different distros. Ubuntu hsa been the one that i have made the most things work with so far. i tried suse but on a PIII 1.2 GHz with 1GB Ram it was slow. Ubuntu is Faster on the same machine and i've made it do everything i was able to do in suse. I did find Yast Much easier, but i'm actually learning how to use linux more with Ubuntu. But then again i'm still trying out all the distros i can download so i'm sure i'll find one someday that i really like.
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu is based on debian. Debian is better, because debian has large program database 14cds Ofcorse you can use debian sites in /etc/apt/sources.list but it is not native.

Quote Originally Posted by spuhpointer
    Ubuntu is based on debian. Debian is better, because debian has large program database 14cds ;) Ofcorse you can use debian sites in /etc/apt/sources.list but it is not native.
    I highly doubt most people need to download 14 CDs worth of software. I prefer to just use Ubuntu's repositories and the universe and backports repositories. There's plenty of software in there, thanks.

When I look in Synaptic after reloading the Ubuntu repositories, I have 16,380 packages and only 1063 installed. I think I'm okay.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast