Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I got a copy of this from my brother. I have been thinking of installing it to see how it is. I have been running slackware 10.1 for a while ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu, What do you think of it?

I got a copy of this from my brother. I have been thinking of installing it to see how it is. I have been running slackware 10.1 for a while now and really like it. I am wondering your opinions about ubuntu.

You'll find many varying opinions of Ubuntu on this forum. I for one hate it, but to each their own.

Note to all: please keep this discussion limited to whether or not you like it and not why Ubuntu sucks or doesn't. I don't want to have to lock yet ANOTHER Ubuntu thread.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I find Ubuntu can be worked on more.

- Napolian

magazines have voted it the top linux distro. so this means that it's a noob distro no offense to anyone who uses it (hell, i use SuSE). i can't imagine why you'd want to use Ubuntu when you have slackware

in conclusion:
    Slackware >> Ubuntu
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    I for one like it, but to each his own (its probally a bit more dummed down than slak but still gives u the control if u want it)

Just Joined!
    I am using it purely because i'm new to linux. I have also tried Mandrake 10.1 and recently VectorLinux.

So far i'm enjoying Ubuntu, though i'm not sure about the Gnome GUI. It can use a higher resolution than 1024*768 which the previous 2 distros i tried couldnt and my ADSL modem installed without too much effort.

So far so good for me

Lee

They seem like a nice group of folks and all, but I just wasn't satisfied with Ubuntu. I gave it a fair chance - kept it for a few weeks.

They have their own philosophy on how to do things, and there are other distros that coincide with my own thoughts much more nicely.

There is one thing that Ubuntu does have (well any debian based distro) that slackware doesn't have...... apt-get.

If you have an extra partition, I would give it a try. It only takes about 20 min to try.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    They have their own philosophy on how to do things, and there are other distros that coincide with my own thoughts much more nicely.
    That's a good way of putting it. I'll second that comment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i havent tried ubuntu but like most distros that try to apeal to the masses there are bound to be failings in certain aspects of thier assembly that will make it not as good as most mainstream distros. but then the masses really arent interested in those areas and are willing to live with certain falacies. i say try it for your self you might like it or it wont fit your groove. its nice to have choices

There is one thing that Ubuntu does have (well any debian based distro) that slackware doesn't have...... apt-get.
    dont forget about slap-get or swaret, both serve the same function.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast