Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Canda uses metric. Here it's $3-$3.40....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Canda uses metric.

Here it's $3-$3.40.

Linux User
    about 2.30 in chicago, and about 1.80 in wisconsin

I would stop complaining about US gas prices if I were you
    Complaining is what we do best. It's like asking a badger to no longer be a badger.

It is a shame your gov't taxes you into oblivion, but until recently we had pretty reasonable prices. So if you're offended by all this, well... that's the other thing we do best.

Actually another reason US gas is so cheap is because of massive tax breaks the petro-chemical industry gets.

Of course my car gets +30 mile per gallon. Take that SUV drivers :P
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Just Joined!
    whenever I get annoyed by gas prices...I just remember that our Quebec neighbours are paying a good 5+ cents more...

Here in Australia, it hit AU$1.30 a litre ~ US$3.60 per US gallon.

Its bloody ridiculous in my opinion, atleast 50% is various federal and state governement tax.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    I would stop complaining about US gas prices if I were you
    Complaining is what we do best. It's like asking a badger to no longer be a badger.

It is a shame your gov't taxes you into oblivion, but until recently we had pretty reasonable prices. So if you're offended by all this, well... that's the other thing we do best.
    I'm not offended . But after all it's a luxury thing. And over here we got lots of people driving SUV's and other big *ss cars, I laugh at them when they whine about the prices... Don't feel sorry for them. If their ego comes first, that's just fine by me .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    OK... I didn't know UK used gallons also. Don't you use the metric system nowadays?
    Petrol gets sold as an amount per litre, but since all the oldies (no offence to anyone here ) always work in imperial, they always work it out per gallon. We kinda use imperial, and kinda metric. Like we started using Celsius for temperature, and they're insisting we use that, and KG instead of lbs and oz etc. however we STILL measure distance in miles!!

I guess we're kinda in a hybrid of metric and imperial
    hehe
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Enthusiast
    Hehe yeah, I still dont get why they sell petrol in litres, and measure a car's economy in mpg in the UK, anyway, it is about $1.75 here for regular, in Pakistan that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    You dont know you're born, some of you Americans.
    Let's take a look at 3 mitigating factors that make me not feel one bit sorry for people in the UK/Europe/Japan:

1) Geographic area: The USA has 9,161,923 sq km of land.
    Britain has 94,247 sq km. Were one so inclined, one could drive from one tip of Britain to the other in a few days. It takes roughly a week to go from one side of the state of Texas to the other. You can fit the space of 9 Englands inside of Texas alone. Due to economic issues, I am forced to live 40 miles from my place of work, and there is no other way for me to get there other than drive.

2) Public Transportation: Europe, the UK, and Japan all have excellent public transportation spanning the vast majority of their habitated areas. America does not. That means that unless we want to walk, we must drive, everywhere. This is not our fault. The average citizen cannot enact the laws necessary to build the massive infrastructure needed to bring efficient public transportation from one shore of the US to the other.

3) Fuel Efficiency Laws: Europe also has laws governing both the size of a car's engine and the fuel economy of those cars. All vehicles sold in the EU must follow these laws, and are therefore much more fuel efficient than those sold in the US. Yes, this is our fault.

If any of my above facts are incorrect, please feel free to correct me. I realize that Americans still pay less than other countries; my argument is that other countries can afford to pay more because they are much less dependent on their personal automobiles. Is that America's fault? Perhaps. Does that mean the UK/Europe/Japan can thumb their noses and say deal with it? Of course not. Have some decency and perspective people.

By the way, I filled up my tank yesterday at $2.87/gal.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast