Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am taking two computer classes at my high school right now - Web Page which deals with writing html and Cybercorps where you work with computer hardware and go ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Should I get A+ Certified?

I am taking two computer classes at my high school right now - Web Page which deals with writing html and Cybercorps where you work with computer hardware and go on jobs where you go outside the classroom and fix teacher's computers which is quite funny sometimes
    Teacher: My computer will not boot
    Myself: ::looks a bit at the computer::
    Myself: Well.. you do realize that a textbook is covering your computer, holding many keys including enter which will hang up on boot.
    Teacher: ::teacher looks confused:: Oh, oh right.. yeah one of my students did that.
    Myself: Hmm.. why don't I remove the book and we won't have to talk about this again?
    Teacher: That's fair
    It really happened. I will also have to plug in mice and keyboards which can get annoying.

Anyhoo I just found out that my teacher is talking a lot about getting A+ Certified, I read a bit about it in my book and it seems quite easy.. the only thing is that it is a bit expensive. Is anyone A+ Certified? Any suggestions/opinions?
    Registered Linux user #393103

Just Joined!
    Why do you feel you need to be certified?

Linux User
    Its a easy exam, did it in two weeks and got the exam for free.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you have the means ($$) and you are viewing this as a chance to get additional training, I say go for it. I would never turn down the opportunity to learn some more. Not sure if you will be studying independently or taking formal classes. If the former, one way to look at this is you will be motivated (by the desire to pass a test) to learn.

As for whether A+ certification is valuable and/or cost-effective, I do not have the answer. I would do it anyway.

Are you talking about a CompTIA A+ Certification.
    I took there A+ Hardware and Software exams.

The exam is NOT easy.
    I studied for 2 months and I was asked questions that I had no idea how to answer. But it is multiple choice. Don't let that fool you though, it is still a tough exam.

As for price, do a search for "vouchers".
    You can get a voucher for $70 and it is good for a year I believe. If you go through CompTIA, it is like $140 for each one.
    The Hardware and Software are separate exams.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

The exam is NOT easy.
    I missed the part in the OP's post about thinking the exam would be easy.

I have to concur. I did the RHCT exam (and will be doing the RHCE in the spring). These cert tests require a hell of a lot of work and memorization - it is very unlikely anyone will breeze through them. If they were easy everyone and his mother would be certified, and the certs would be worthless.

Linux Enthusiast
    I have a horror story of my own...
    I was thirteen years old at the time and my mother was as tech illiterate as could be. She would never let me do anything on the precious family Dell and was scared to death every time I clicked the mouse.
    Then I started experimenting with the C programming language. It was very challenging and yet very fascinating to me.
    But one night my mother caught me using the C compiler. She became very upset and said that I must be very careful with the computer because I could break it and since I knew nothing about computers it would easily happen (little did she know I had disassembled the damn thing dozens of times before and put it back together quite easily by reading stuff at the library). Things like this would happed a lot and over time I got tired of it. So I decided to prove myself by studying A+ Certification books.
    Oh, I studied very hard. For two months I did this, and when I felt ready I decided to take the test.
    So I get my dad to take me to the test center, promising him I would pass the exam.
    Anyway, to make a long story short, I failed miserably, wasted 200 dollars, and made an ass of myself. The A+ books don't prepare you near enough, no matter how confident you are.
    Though I know it is fun to have to fix stuff for tech illiterates sometimes.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    The exam is NOT easy.
    I missed the part in the OP's post about thinking the exam would be easy.

I have to concur. I did the RHCT exam (and will be doing the RHCE in the spring). These cert tests require a hell of a lot of work and memorization - it is very unlikely anyone will breeze through them. If they were easy everyone and his mother would be certified, and the certs would be worthless.
    Good point.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceSquad
    Why do you feel you need to be certified?
    Yeah, you don't really need the cert unless you are seeking employment somewhere, and even then, you're just one in a million certified applicants. I know, because when I applied for my first job at 19, they wouldn't take me because I only had one certification. They always want a little more. You aren't anything special. Get Microsoft certified too.

Linux User
    i was allowed to disasemble and play with the computer at the age of 10, been reading up computers since then (probably why i passed my A+). Going for my CCNA...now thats hard.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast