Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have switched to linux fully about 1.5yrs now.(1 out of 3 kids dual boot for games) My wife who ran our business hated the expense and the crashes of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Linux Has changed Me

I have switched to linux fully about 1.5yrs now.(1 out of 3 kids dual boot for games) My wife who ran our business hated the expense and the crashes of win$, but she loves Quickbooks. I Switched her over to Win4Lin and she Loves Linux. (That was 8 months ago). My Father-in Law and my wife bought a small ship and pack store. The store was running UPS (old 386 systems). I built them 2 systems and my wife refused to use M$. So I installed WinL4in so they could use UPS's software. (The UPS drivers were amazed of the no crashing and most of them never heard of LINUX). Thing were great until Fedex found out that there business was doing so good and there was no Fedex drop off within 18 miles. So, they gave my wife a great deal so they switched.... WELL, there Software I tried to install on win98 it wouldn't work. We called tech support: they said ”it will not work with win98, only win2k and up”. {Keep in Mind this is my wife's and father-in-laws New Business }
    They told me to go buy what I need. I bought 2 win98 XP upgrades and Norton security for 3 Pcs ($300+).
    So, I spent almost 6 hours installing winxp with $p2, norton security and all updates on 2 systems. Setup them up with only what they needed (no firefox). Both Of the systems crashed mutiple times,during installs and updates. The systems were nice: MSI boards, 2300 athlons, 512mb Corsair Ram, 40gig maxtor...... All good hardware...
    The next day the Cell Phone is ringing the XP is crashin on both systems and it is taking forever to boot back up. Switch US BACK TO LINUX!
    That night I was back in there reinstalling Linux........Life has been great again....
    I wish I knew some linux people to learn from(hands on). Brain hurtiin

well, you've come to the right place, there are many people on this forums which can help with linux problems.

Just out of curiosity, how did you get windows to crash on or during install? So far, I have never had any of my XP/2K boxes crash during or after install. Oh and the first thing i install after windows is a good firewall set to paranoid levels along with Ad-aware, no spyware/malware etc.. on my windows systems for a looooooooooooooong time...
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

linux

I don't remember what the exact crash of the first system but I had to restart the install twice(without wiping the hard drive). The other duplicate PC crashed while rebooting updates. I thought it was strange too. But after all I was done all seem to be fine. The Wife said it was crashing when she clicked on Explorer and when it was rebooting it was telling her all the reasons why it it crashed. Linux has run fine for 7 days now and 62 days before. I don't use Xp I gave Up on Win after 98. After looking at XP for over 6 hours I am disappointed. I am not computer expert or a Linux advocate.(I wish I was)
    What sad, my wife's business spent $300 and crashed.
    I have never posted in a forum before, but after many wasted hours and M$oney, I felt I had to.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well if you have any further problems with either windows or linux, don't hesistate to post, there are people who can help. Also, be sure to check out the tutorials sectoion of this site for some info about learning the basics of a linux system.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Re: Why Linux Has changed Me

Quote Originally Posted by littlez
    I have switched to linux fully about 1.5yrs now.(1 out of 3 kids dual boot for games) My wife who ran our business hated the expense and the crashes of win$, but she loves Quickbooks. I Switched her over to Win4Lin and she Loves Linux. (That was 8 months ago). My Father-in Law and my wife bought a small ship and pack store. The store was running UPS (old 386 systems). I built them 2 systems and my wife refused to use M$. So I installed WinL4in so they could use UPS's software. (The UPS drivers were amazed of the no crashing and most of them never heard of LINUX). Thing were great until Fedex found out that there business was doing so good and there was no Fedex drop off within 18 miles. So, they gave my wife a great deal so they switched.... WELL, there Software I tried to install on win98 it wouldn't work. We called tech support: they said ”it will not work with win98, only win2k and up”. {Keep in Mind this is my wife's and father-in-laws New Business }
    They told me to go buy what I need. I bought 2 win98 XP upgrades and Norton security for 3 Pcs ($300+).
    So, I spent almost 6 hours installing winxp with $p2, norton security and all updates on 2 systems. Setup them up with only what they needed (no firefox). Both Of the systems crashed mutiple times,during installs and updates. The systems were nice: MSI boards, 2300 athlons, 512mb Corsair Ram, 40gig maxtor...... All good hardware...
    The next day the Cell Phone is ringing the XP is crashin on both systems and it is taking forever to boot back up. Switch US BACK TO LINUX!
    That night I was back in there reinstalling Linux........Life has been great again....
    I wish I knew some linux people to learn from(hands on). Brain hurtiin
    just don't tell this story to a microserf
    it's good to see another man persuaded by the beauty of linux. and you got your missus on it too! double points for this man. i need to know your technique to get my dad to use linux
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Engineer
    If UPS owns the software, you could tell them of your sucess and get them to pay someone to port the software to GNU/Linux so you don't need Win4Lin.

The biggest problem that I see is that you performed an upgrade and not a clean install. I won't perform an upgrade even in Linux, I always go the clean install route.

Did you ensure that all the hardware was supported by WinXP SP2?

I also don't recommend Norton for use on any WinXP system as it seems to do more harm than it does good, specially SystemWorks.

I alway recommend AVG (antivirus). Kerio Personal Firewall, and Spybot or AdAware. All are free.
    Dell Precision T7400 Workstation
    Dual 3.33Ghz Xeon "Harpertown" Core
    16GB PC5300 DDR2 ECC CL5
    BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 2GB
    X-Fi Platinum
    HP w2408 24" Monitor
    Dual Boot:openSUSE 11.2/Win 7 Ultimate

I wish I knew some linux people to learn from(hands on).
    If you have some time and some money to spend on this, you might look into courses offered at your local community college (if there is one in your area). Alternatively, you could perhaps find a professional training center to do the Linux+ certification or one of the Red Hat certs.

If you have some time and less money to spend on this, there are plenty of excellent Linux books. It sounds like you're beyond the beginner point (and it seems like 90% of Linux books are aimed at beginners), so if I could make a single recommendation it would be Linux Power Tools by Roderick Smith. I picked mine up at Half Price books for $15.99.

If you have some time and no money to spend on this, I would suggest hanging around various Linux forums to learn and help out other users (thereby cementing what you've learned). In addition, there are loads of good web resources - tldp.org for starters.

There is no better way to learn than by doing, IMO, so set yourself up a Linux box at home that you can configure, mess with, clobber, fix, rebuild, etc. Besides, you'll want a test environment for new software before you install it on your wife's business machines.

Good luck.