Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
box, machine, computer, whatever... :P...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

box, machine, computer, whatever... :P

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    I call it my box. I've never seen a case that isn't a box.
    Now you have:

The Millenium Falcon MiniMac

What the......

Looks like something I could use to take over the world!!!
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!

Re: "its called a base unit"

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    I’m really exposing my ‘geekyness’ I know. But it really does my head in how people call their PC base-unit all sorts of thing other then a base-unit.

“can you install windows on my modem” or “my CD won’t come out of my CPU” or “can I install a new graphics card in my hard-disk”. It’s a bloody nightmare, especially if you work in tech support. You haven’t got a clue what the person wants.

Am I the only one who has grits my teeth at this?
    I always got a laugh when a female customer asked over the phone, "I need you to look at my box.."

Me: "Uh...ok sure come on down"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    yes i have noticed this, luckily sence my job isnt tech support or fixing computers and its usualy a freind, i will call them a dumb ass

Linux Newbie
    I heard a magic word today "file" from my neighborhood. She asked: "Do you have file in the internet?", and I proudly answered "Yes!"

Quote Originally Posted by RustamB
    I heard a magic word today "file" from my neighborhood. She asked: "Do you have file in the internet?", and I proudly answered "Yes!"
    Haha. Umm, what? That's like asking "does your llama do Tae-Bo?" You just kind of have to smile and nod and wonder just what they meant to ask.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by RustamB
    Haha. Umm, what? That's like asking "does your llama do Tae-Bo?" You just kind of have to smile and nod and wonder just what they meant to ask.
    Well, she actually meant whether I have personal web page or not She also wants to meet a guy in the internet So I've installed ICQ and added 10-15 contacts of males randomly. I hope this would be enough for the first time

i still call it a CPU even though i know its called the base unit. correcting users doesnt get you very far when you are helping them with a problem. and with notebooks is there a Base unit? ehh it doesnt matter the terminology will change again in six months anyhow.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i still call it a CPU even though i know its called the base unit. correcting users doesnt get you very far when you are helping them with a problem. and with notebooks is there a Base unit? ehh it doesnt matter the terminology will change again in six months anyhow.
    I'd actually never heard the term "base unit" until this thread. All my professors, fellow nerds, and coworkers refer to theirs as their "box", "CPU" or just "computer".
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I know of a few people that call it something weird, like the hard disk, or the CPU. I just take a guess at what they're meaning, and randomly suggest a solution. More often than not i can work out what they mean

It would be better if they called it the "Base-Unit", "Box" or something that means it IS the base-unit! Not some internal part thereof!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast