Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I’m really exposing my ‘geekyness’ I know. But it really does my head in how people call their PC base-unit all sorts of thing other then a base-unit. “can you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

"its called a base unit"

I’m really exposing my ‘geekyness’ I know. But it really does my head in how people call their PC base-unit all sorts of thing other then a base-unit.

“can you install windows on my modem” or “my CD won’t come out of my CPU” or “can I install a new graphics card in my hard-disk”. It’s a bloody nightmare, especially if you work in tech support. You haven’t got a clue what the person wants.

Am I the only one who has grits my teeth at this?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Enthusiast
    hehe, you are NOT the only person who has to deal with this, my cousin calls it a monitor, " HEY, get your stinky noopix cd out of the monitor ( knoppix)"

Also my IT teacher.

Linux Newbie
    There are lots of stories like that. Below are those that I experienced personally.

Customer calls to our service center and says that his computer is not working. When asked about computer model, he answered that this is Samsung (that's the brand of his monitor).

People used to equate monitor type with PC. Such misunderstanding happens with software also. When asked, what OS are you running? The most frequent answer is "Office 97".

Some old computer users used to equate the software they use with Norton Commander, so the other frequent answer on the question "what is your reporting tool?" is "norton" That's because they launch DOS program from nc.

While recruiting non IT personnel, on the answer what software are you familiar with, he/she often answers: "Windows, Office, Word, Excel, Internet" On the next question, "what is windows?", people often launch windows explorer and demonstrate their ability to copy files

short one: of course the most frequent reason for boot failures is floppy disk left in drive...

In one of our city banks I saw a very polite windows user. These are the steps he followed to open an attachment.
    1. Right Click and save the attachment to My Documents
    2. Launch the appropriate software (Word, Excel)
    3. Click on open in file menu
    4. Browse to that directory, select the file...
    5. Right click on the file and from context menu select "open"
    He was very surprised when I demonstrated him how to open the document by double clicking an attachment.

Once I was asked to write an application for pharmaceutical company. The subject for the first meeting with the customer was to identify their requests for feature software. This is what exactly customer said when I came to their office. "Oh, great! Do you have CD with you? Let's go to the server room, I want this program to be installed now, we don't have much time." He was very depressed when I informed him that before installing the software it must be written.

short one: monitor, scanner, printer, modem, speakers and case all installed on one UPS...

short one: I don't believe when one says to me that he/she needs ACDSee viewer to view family album on PC, or DivX codec only to watch the latest movie of Tom Cruise, but not for other well known purposes

sad one: The other customer used to store all his critical information on floppies and then delete them from local drive. He stored those floppies in the steel case.... After a couple of years of such "backup" his first series of floppies were not readable anymore.... We managed to recover some of them though later, but the rest information was lost.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Most people I talk to just call it "computer". Like, "the CD won't come out of the computer", or something along those lines. I don't work in IT or anything like that, but I do deal with people and computers.

Well I always consider the base unit the PC, the rest are peripherals I guess. (Yup even the monitor).

Calling it a computer or a PC if fine, and broadly speaking is correct. It's just calling it something that it's not makes me scratch my head.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Just Joined!
    This also pisses me off, good rant

Linux Engineer
    I call it my box. I've never seen a case that isn't a box.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Now you have:

The Millenium Falcon MiniMac

Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Then I call it my peepee cause I've never seen case with peepee.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast