Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Just read this article about microsoft again trying to lock competitors out the market. I just wish that some of these mid-size companies would realise that when they incorporate these ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

MS monopolising again?

Just read this article about microsoft again trying to lock competitors out the market.
    I just wish that some of these mid-size companies would realise that when they incorporate these ms products they are chaining themselves to microsoft and denying themselves the opportunity to easily change vendors if they become unhappy with microsoft.
    registered linux user: 387197

They just seem to be doing what any company in it's right mind would: trying to make more money by increasing it's user base. You could mention any software company (even linux companies such as Red Hat, Novell...) and write an article about how they are trying to expand in such-and-such an area of the market.

The tactics which a company employs, however, are a different matter. And I think we've been through that many times
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Unless they're actively employing tactics to keep the other companies out of the market, I don't see this as "locking in" the market at all. I see it as them deploying a competing product in a new market against which other companies must compete. If they cannot, and it's because Microsoft has a better product rather than any shady maneuvering, good for Microsoft.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Unless they're actively employing tactics to keep the other companies out of the market, I don't see this as "locking in" the market at all. I see it as them deploying a competing product in a new market against which other companies must compete. If they cannot, and it's because Microsoft has a better product rather than any shady maneuvering, good for Microsoft.
    and stretching themselves more thin that what they currently already do which isnt good for thier customers.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux User
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't microsoft use proprietry code that does not run on other platforms? And doesn't that mean that if you purchase a product from them such as sql server that you are locked into using microsoft products unless you are willing to undergo expensive restructuring?
    That's what gets on my nerves, not that its microsoft, but that one of the tactics they use is to use some admittedly excellent products to tie the customer into using only their products.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't microsoft use proprietry code that does not run on other platforms? And doesn't that mean that if you purchase a product from them such as sql server that you are locked into using microsoft products unless you are willing to undergo expensive restructuring?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the midsize business companies like Intuit already make products that run on Microsoft Windows? If that's the case it's just a matter of swapping applications not platforms.

**In case any of you are wondering why on earth I seem to be defending Microsoft here, I'm playing devil's advocate because I personally think no Microsoft-related threads belong on this forum.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

here is another thing to add to your argument as well moe, if you are on a mysql server on redhat you are locked into it until you restructure to get off of it as well. it can be looked at that way. it would be different if microsoft was creating an application that shuts the server down if any non-microsoft product gets installed and the application database is in one file that the user cant see or convert to anything else. if its sql server then you can convert the data easily and an application can be built to access the data. it didnt seem like Microsoft was trying to lock people in now they are trying to get to any market that potentially could start using linux. now that makes business sense but if they have a contract say that they can be payed severence pay of milions to convert to another system that is not.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux User
    I know that Microsoft are doing what a business does, it's just that I find it frustrating that they seem to want to take over the entire computing world.

Techiemoe,
    on reflection I think you are right. No, not about defending MS, but rather that Microsoft probably shouldn't be the topic of a thread simply because they are doing what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo
    Techiemoe,
    on reflection I think you are right. No, not about defending MS, but rather that Microsoft probably shouldn't be the topic of a thread simply because they are doing what they do.
    That's my point in a nutshell right there. We all know how Microsoft runs their company, so is it really news?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Mysql + Red Hat != lockin

Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    ...if you are on a mysql server on redhat you are locked into it until you restructure to get off of it as well....
    Mysql on RedHat is not what I would call lockin. Red Hat wants too much for server software use CentOS. Mysql giving you a hard time, use PostgreSQL. Even is you stick with what you've got, once the support contract runs out, there is nothing to stop you from continuing using Mysql + Red Hat. Plenty of other support facilities out there, or you can roll your own.

That is the beauty of Open Source Software compared with Proprietary software. You have a choice. You can deduce the negatives about an MS solution yourselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast