Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: Buy it?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll buy it...

5 21.74%
  • I'll wait for a download...

9 39.13%
  • Neither, I have a favorite distro already.

9 39.13%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Novell Press Release I was just curious who would be picking this one up retail? I've previously been a very ardent supporter of their retail offerings, but recently discovered I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SuSE 10 Announced... due in October

Novell Press Release

I was just curious who would be picking this one up retail? I've previously been a very ardent supporter of their retail offerings, but recently discovered I can do everything I need in CentOS for free... so I'm somewhat torn. I'm also interested to see if the quality of the 10.0 retail box is up to par with previous versions, since this is the first release with input from the OpenSuSE project.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I was really put off by the Novell Pro Desktop 9.x releases, as they felt stale even right after they were released. I've also never really taken to SuSE's method of package management -- YaST just didn't do the trick for me, as the automated downloads/installs never seemed to work.
    Besides, I love Gentoo anyway
    ( Just to let you know, the "I'll Buy" poll option got misconstrued as a title by phpBB )
    [edit]looks like you fixed the poll!

i never can find it retail places like best buy have a dwindling linux section. plus who wants to have another box sitting around save a tree and let me download it even if i have to pay for it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am happy to support SuSE in a number of different ways, but this is probably a case where I'll wait to download.

My reason has nothing to do with SuSE. I shy away from bleeding edge in general (even if they call it prod) in favor of an older, more stable release. Let someone else work through the bugs.

That said, it sounds like the various 10 beta versions are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    My reason has nothing to do with SuSE. I shy away from bleeding edge in general (even if they call it prod) in favor of an older, more stable release. Let someone else work through the bugs.
    I agree with this, but I'm under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that the final retail box will be the same as 9.3: well-tested in house and released relatively bug-free. It will simply have the added bit of testing and user input received from OpenSuSE. I don't see the retail SuSE going the way of Fedora (which is more what OpenSuSE is). We'll see I suppose.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti
    i never can find it retail places like best buy have a dwindling linux section. plus who wants to have another box sitting around save a tree and let me download it even if i have to pay for it.
    http://www.libranet.com/

i was talking about walking into a store and buying off the shelf i know i can download it or buy it online.
    Blog

Just Joined!
    I think I may buy it...if the box looks cool.

i was talking about walking into a store and buying off the shelf i know i can download it or buy it online.
    I usually pick it up at Fry's Electronics or CompUSA. BestBuy sometimes has it, but the first two *always* have it in stock.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I usually pick it up at Fry's Electronics or CompUSA. BestBuy sometimes has it, but the first two *always* have it in stock.
    i wish they would put in a fry's here. there is only one compusa here and they dont do a good job of carrying linux though they are better than most. they carry suse red hat and sometimes xandros.

i told my wife that if they put in a fry's here she would never see me again ha ha
    Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast