Find the answer to your Linux question:
purpose of this topic is: tell everyone about your ideas, what you have developed by or for yourself, what you think might be interesting for everyone. Also tell us about ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good ideas / bad ideas for everyone

purpose of this topic is:

tell everyone about your ideas, what you have developed by or for yourself, what you think might be interesting for everyone. Also tell us about your bad experiances, what you can do and what you might better not do.

For myself:
    I' running FC3 with a ssh-server and a vncserver tunneld throu my firewall, DNS forwared. My idea was:
    I am realy often on business trips, so I can connect from everywhere to my linux box. That's point one. I usually come home on weekend and the last thing before I leave office is to start xmms via my super-dsl-connected vncserver and listen to my music whenever I come home.

Now, it's your turn.

Linux Newbie
    This should be some geek ideas, is that true? Otherwise it's not so interesting Well, about one geek idea I've already posted somewhere else, but I feel that this is the right place to repeat.

In our office we used to play Half-Life with colleagues. First idea was to launch it under Linux, cause we were sick of switching to Windows to play games. Well, we managed that. Now the geekness: My colleague launched Half-Life on linux machine (Slackware) with winex, exported display to other host. Host was Windows XP with XServer installed. And other colleague was playing Half-Life launched from linux on that windows machine. Such a heterogenous system

EDIT: And the good idea for the nearest feature is to install Linux on Dell Axim Handheld, which ships with Windows mobile 2003.

Just Joined!
    that's a great idea, and it's making the office-life liveable

-
    yep, also put your geek idea's here.

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for but here's my two cents.

1)I think it would be cool to hack one of those car satellite recievers to get access to different satellites for other purposes. I don't know what could be done with it or even if it's possible but it sounds interesting.

2) Hack a cell phone to triangulate distances from towers to act as a poor man's GPS.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Linux Engineer
    Don't play with wires, batteries and electricity when you've no clue what you're doing. Lost a surge protector that way