Find the answer to your Linux question:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25845...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Massachusetts dumps Microsoft Office

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25845
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

I think the move to an open format for government documents makes a lot of sense. Everyone should be able to read government documents, regardless of platform.

I've always said that if you really want to hurt Microsoft you should force them to make their Office formats open so that interoperability could be flawless. Of course, that will never happen (and probably shouldn't - you would basically be telling the company to commit suicide). A much fairer punishment would be to break the company up a la AT&T, but that will also not happen.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Flatline
    I think the move to an open format for government documents makes a lot of sense. Everyone should be able to read government documents, regardless of platform.
    Agreed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

they told microsoft that if office 12 comes out and its able to manipulate the file formats they plan on using then they will buy office. microsoft's answer was that the file formats they propose are too crippled to be of any use. the thing they added was that thier xml scheme includes support for embedding video sound images and etc into the documents. but this has all brought up an interesting question why do you need video and sound in a TEXT document. have the intregration movers gotten alittle carried away. plus for image documents they still plan on using pdf. microsoft may have to eventually be part of a standards committee and actually put into practice the standards they helped build for once. this isnt the first time they broke away form standards they helped write.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Linux Newbie
    hah, my home state wised up.
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules or else.

I think that Government departments havve a responsibility to promote open standards, but more importantly not to lock themselves into a single vendor. Seriously - A Government agency at the mercy of a commercial entity. It's ridiculous.

Microsoft have just become too cocksure. They should be bending over backwards to get into business with large contracts like these, not laying down their own law.