Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Newbie
    39 views, yet noone finds them at all interesting. i think its pretty amazing that 2 guys that started a search engine are rivaling microsoft in many ways.

note: i dont intend this to be a "bashing microsoft" thread. i do, however find this topic to be quite interesting.

They are interesting articles, if you are keeping up with what Microsoft is doing. I read some, but not nearly all, of the articles about Microsoft, and what they are doing in response to various thngs, but my interests are with GNU/Linux, and with what the various distros and so on are doing.

For example, I was more interested in the jedi linux url in jabous's post than in the Microsoft articles.

Sorry about that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    a bit of kindeling here but for google to take over would be good
    /me will keep an eye on this one
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Google and Microsoft are like, one in the same. The only difference is that Microsoft is on the dark side of the force...hehe.

Anyway, I like google a lot. But I can't help thinking If microsoft's whole company flops and Google gets bigger and bigger, google is going to become the next microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    Google and Microsoft are like, one in the same. The only difference is that Microsoft is on the dark side of the force...hehe.

Anyway, I like google a lot. But I can't help thinking If microsoft's whole company flops and Google gets bigger and bigger, google is going to become the next microsoft.
    Not if they are and continue to be, live, eat, breath, and support OpenSource!

I hope Google stays the way it is, you cant trust google either though, the products they've been producing are a massive source of marketing. Google is becoming as bad as MS already. You gotta love MS though, they have some excellent marketing, their website makes me warm and fuzzy, and the vista logo is very nice (this isnt sarcasm or flame bait, its how I really feel). I use Google (a search engine) for what I need, and I use MS for what I need (A operating system with tons of software support). UNIX/Linux IMO is a hobbyist OS. Dont take it personally, its just my opinion (I love UNIX, it's _alot_ more better than MS Windows, and it's great fun to learn).

Quote Originally Posted by ISOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth

Not if they are and continue to be, live, eat, breath, and support OpenSource!
    Maybe I over-stated this a little bit. Any company that gets big enough can become over-bearing... I meant this from a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by the0r3tic
    Google is becoming as bad as MS already.
    NOBODY is as bad as MS - not even close.

You gotta love MS though, they have some excellent marketing, their website makes me warm and fuzzy, and the vista logo is very nice (this isnt sarcasm or flame bait, its how I really feel).
    Yes, that's how they want you to feel - but, you need to look below the surface to see their true colors - unless, of course, feeling warm and fuzzy is the epitome and foremost concern in your life (this isnt sarcasm or flame bait, its how I really feel).

UNIX/Linux IMO is a hobbyist OS.
    UNIX and Linux are real OSes - Windows is something else...

Dont take it personally, its just my opinion (I love UNIX, it's _alot_ more better than MS Windows, and it's great fun to learn).
    Don't take any of this personally, its just my opinion. (I love Linux, too - it puts Windows to shame [where it matters the most - security and stability -- and even more important than that - it's OpenSource], and it is great fun to learn ----- and I fully support it.)

Good, we seem to agree on a few things.

UNIX and Linux are real OSes - Windows is something else...
    Maybe you should qualify "real OS". Both unix (some flavors) and windows have full commercial support. Of any of these Linux is still the closest thing to a hobbyist's OS; a handful of Linux distros have commercial support, while most rely on unofficial communities.