Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings, it's about time I returned to this forum. I haven't stopped by this forum for some time now. Might be related to my hectic life, damn you physics. Anyways, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

AMCAS blocks GNU/Linux

Greetings, it's about time I returned to this forum. I haven't stopped by this forum for some time now. Might be related to my hectic life, damn you physics.

Anyways, I was going to apply online for medical school just a few days ago. When I ran into this error message.

AMCAS supports only Windows and MacOS operating systems.
    Need help? Contact us at AMCAS@aamc.org.
    If you would like to see if you get the same error message as me, you can go to https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2006/.

Now, I have only read of sites banning you for not using a certain OS, I have never actually ran across one. Usually they block you for not having a browser that supports certain features. But, I was using Mozilla Firefox, which supports just about everything imaginable. Thus I was baffled. So, I did the most natural thing and emailed them that I think there is some mistake/misunderstanding here. apparantly there wasn't. For according their responce they stated that it probably was browser related, and recommended me using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.5 or Netscape 7. Which I found to be an odd choice since Firefox, if I remember correctly, is based on the same code as Netscape. Now, I have already tried applying from a couple of GNU/Linux computers, and have received the same error message everytime, albeit from only Firefox or Epiphany, but still different distros.

Well, I am thinking that my only options are to either install Konqueror and hide the identity of my computer's OS, as I don't think Fireofx or go to a computer lab on campus so I can use Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Just so I don't start thinking that it's just me, or that Linux users don't make good Physicians; I'm curious as to what my fellow Linux users think.

And now, back to learning GNU/Octave for my math class.

Linux Enthusiast
    That's too bad. And yes, Firefox is based on the base code of Netscape. But the site may be looking at the entire browser. I'm not much of a programmer but I imagine that Firefox would still do some stuff differently.
    Like you said, I've heard of this stuff happening, but it's never actually happened to me. I've heard of donation sites (like FEMA) blocking you from donating because you aren't using IE.
    On the other hand I'm not really surprized. It takes more time (and therefore money) to make your site compatible with multiple browsers.

Linux Engineer
    That's terrible. Screw the school.

Hiding your UA doesn't help.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think they're just reading the User-Agent string from your browser. Try to get a browser where you can set the User-Agent so it doesn't say "Linux" or something.

We should also all spam these people about their blocking Linux browsers.

Just Joined!
    One thing you should try (and report back) is the little firefox plugin that changes what browser it says your using. (or something, i don't know very much about it) and see if that works.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the responces.

I found a link to a user agent switcher plugin for firefox. I'm going to install it shortly and get back to you.

https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox

Linux Engineer
    o.O it works.

Linux User
    works in opera, and works on ff in windows

Linux Newbie
    I installed the user agent switcher; If I identify myself as Internet Explorer the site will grant me acces to the login page.

Personally, I find this a little absurd. Why can't we just have open standards so all the little people don't have to do things like this?

I have run into this situation at a couple of sites (all some form of government site), and I took the path of either going to their offices (and complaining about their lack of support) or going through the snail mail system (also complaining about their lack of support). In neither case did I get any sort of sincere apology, although I know that the office people have absolutely no say in this problem. At least they did not berate me for using a particular browser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast