Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
well i guess they have changed there ways and only allow the ftp install. they have iso for non intel based systems or ppc based here is the README.iso-images.english file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

well i guess they have changed there ways and only allow the ftp install. they have iso for non intel based systems or ppc based here is the README.iso-images.english file i found on there ftp server

SuSE Linux AG is one of the leading providers of Open Source software
    worldwide: this forms the backdrop to the reason why we, too, have
    committed ourselves to the support and further development of the Open-Source
    community.

SuSE Linux AG, with over 100 full time developers, is making a substantial
    contribution to the further development of the Linux Open Source operating
    system and its related programs. We are one of the main driving forces in
    the fields of development of the kernel, KDE, XFree86, compiler, ALSA, USB
    and multiple-platforms, and we are in addition supporting the
    internationalization of the Linux project.

In our SuSE Linux Open Source operating system we bring together a wide
    range of freely available programs, applications and tools. This is our
    carefully assembled product, which we provide and distribute for 6
    platforms (Intel/AMD, IA64, PPC, AXP, S/390 and Sparc).

Above all we strive to ensure the high quality of SuSE Linux, and that it
    is as up-to-date as possible. In addition we want to guarantee the constant
    high quality of our documentation and our support, in the interest of all
    customers.

In order to be able to maintain this service in the future, as well as
    meeting the accompanying wishes of our customers, we are dependent on
    sales of our products and services, and must ensure that an adequate cost
    structure exists within our company.

For the purposes of testing and evaluation, we have made a great effort to
    provide a variation of SuSE Linux which does not have to be installed,
    and which makes it extremely easy to try out SuSE Linux or examine its
    hardware requirements.

With our SuSE Linux FTP version (SuSE Linux Professional, excluding
    commercial program packages, which we are not allowed to offer on their
    own for download) we provide a free service for all those who wish to install
    SuSE Linux via FTP.

We are currently providing ISO images for download for all
    non-Intel/AMD/PPC platforms (IA64, AXP, S/390 and Sparc), since these products
    cannot be made available everywhere, worldwide and at the accustomed speed.

Of course we would be pleased to present you and your company with our
    complete range of services; you can request our product catalog at any
    time, free of charge and without obligation.

Your SuSE Linux Team!
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I have a copy of SuSE 8.2 Professional which was offered free with a Linux magazine. It's not perfect (not every package works all that well) but this is something I've found to be generally true with Linux. I like the distro 'cos it has a huge database of installable software on the DVD, so I have fewer problems with dependencies in this way. I had been using Mandrake 9.1, but found this to be buggy... Not sure if anyone else experiences this with Mandrake?

I'm not trying to 'sell' SuSE to you, by the way, because I know it's frustrating when things don't work as you would expect. I think a lot of it comes down to quality. Some distros seem to be carefully put together, others are more messy. SuSE seem to spend a lot of time marketing the distro as though it's brand new commercial product... But it looks a lot like the other distros I've used (not many...
    Mandrake/Peanut/College/Knoppix). Knoppix is very good!!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

hi

i have not tried out most Distros cause of one main reason:

sme distros even thought they are linux based do not use your harware very well (mainly your ram and your processor) and therefor require a hefty machine to play things well. i cant run quake 3 very well with my machine (p3 600mhz and 32mb videocard) under SuSe 8.2 or windows XP, 2000 . lol prolly asking a miracle here for my pc to get 30 fps or something but until i see that , i dont think ill be thuroly (sp) pleased with any os. my idea of a good OS is one that works with out dated hardware just as well as it does with the top of the line stuff and also works the best out of the box . i know that most guys that use linux dont use it non configured almost EVER because its not safe or what ever but not even windows works safely/resource thrifty out of the box

that is all

Linux Newbie
    i got suse 8.2 there a while back... got it installed no prob. although i am using the mainstreamst of mainstream computers (dell 8200 nividia ect)
    the only prob was that theres no silent boot splash (i know thats a pure minor thing but its the little things that count right?)
    yah so no problem great distro
    hey fingal what mag was that? i paid (yes PAID) for my version.
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

Hi Red Mad Hatter. Can't remember which mag I bought. I'll check when I get home! It might have been 'Linux Professional'.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    heya,
    I am running SuSE Pro 8.2 in production both at work and at the house, and I love every minute of it. This version of this distro seems to be finally hitting the nail on the head.
    I read the documentation thouroughly, google questions, and NEVER EVER EVER experiment while being root.
    I was a big Mandrake fan a few years ago, and have been running Redhat on various servers for years. But Now I have fallen for SuSE in a big way, we use SLES on the servers at work (30 servers) and I never have a problem.
    They (SuSE) put out patches on a regular basis and I haven't had an issue yet that wasn't easily fixed.

Anytime you have questions or think about installing new hardware, you should always check the website and their list of hardware.

Hey Red Hatter! That magazine I bought was called (rather imaginatively ) 'Linux Magazine'. They have a website, so you might be able to get a back issue: www.linux-magazine.com

Linux Newbie
    thanks v much i getting me that

i can't believe i paid!!!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
    i just read it and found the back issue. suse is on the DVD and guess what? i don't have a dvd player NOOO. and before that debian adn linux 3.0 on the DVD apsolutly sickining.
    (if you look the suse edition is the release for november... its october now isn't it? or is it?)

thanks v much anyway
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

I'v been using SuSe8.2 for a total of about 2 wks. This is also my first linux. and your right suse provided no instalation support if most of your system booted up. yeh most of my system came to life but the parts that didn't work they said that they didn't support those devices on instalation support. but you could pay us more money & we will fix it. The heck with that. a good book,learning the syntax and fixing the fstabs etc......

And all i wanted to do was take it out of the box and play with it for a while, but instead i had to learn how to reconfigure it etc...etc.... i could go on for ever.

However over and above that i love Suse, or atleast the parts that i have figured out sofar. The one that is driving me nuts is trying to get the cd-dvd-r-rw to be a valid block deivce in all formats
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2